Review:Ares 730 Axis Lock

Benchmade 730 Ares
The overall first impression of this latest Benchmade offering is very favorable. The multi-colored scales are a muted maroon or purple and black and really set the piece up as something different from today's "tactical" offerings with their plain black scales.
The size of this knife, for me, is about ideal. The blade, at 3.60 inches, fits the gap between the 710 and 705 models. When compared to the 710,the 730 appears to be a bit thicker. With the thicker scales the 730 has a solid heft of a well-balanced piece.
The blade is of 154CM steel, the U.S. equivalent of ATS34. This type of steel has been used on many high-end production knives in the past several years with some success. It provides good corrosion resistance, toughness and is relatively easy to resharpen. The grind is high enough to make the blade a good slicer with a good sharp point for piercing. Though it lacks the belly of the 710 it appears to be a useful utility shape.
The handle (scales) are of G10 with double stainless steel liners and are thick enough to provide a good grip, which is made even more solid by the shape of the handle. The multi-colored scales are hard to describe as to the color. They almost have to be viewed in person in order to get an accurate representation of the color scheme. The layered and scalloped scales are also something that needs to be experienced in person to appreciate.
The Benchmade Axis lock needs no introduction. I really like it. Solid and simple it has worked every time for me under hard use. The 730 I have is quite a bit smoother opening than my 710. The 730 can be opened easily by thumbing back the Axis lock button and a light flick.
The clip rides very high on the handle for a deep pocket carry, tip up, and can be configured for right or left hand carry. With the black clip and deep carry the knife rides almost unnoticed by most people (except readers of this forum).
I think Benchmade has a winner in this knife. Finally a departure from the plain black "tactical" look that has flooded the market in the recent past. The Axis lock is a big plus on any knife meant for hard use.
My 730 was not as sharp as it should have been out of the box. A few passes on the Spyderco Sharpmaker at 30 degrees and it would push cut newsprint. The grind lines were a wee bit off, but not bad for a production knife.
The 730 seems to be available to most Benchmade dealers now in the plain and serrated versions. I got mine at my local brick and mortar store. I wasn't able to wait for the supplies to reach the Internet dealers. A bad combination of an overtime check and "I got to have my knife fix now" was my downfall.
This Benchmade deserves a serious look and Benchmade should be encouraged to continue to go outside the box in its designs.

------------------
Those who beat their arms into plowshares will plow for those who do not.
R.D.Hatch
Stafford,Virginia

R.D.

Thanks for the review. Do you happen to own a Stryker? If so, how would you rate the handle comfort of the 730 vs. the Stryker? My favorite thing about the Stryker is the handle, but the blade shape and Axis Lock appeal to me a great deal. I think there is a 730 in my future. (In fact, it should arrive any day now
smile.gif
)

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

David,

Well you just happen to be in luck. I too own a BM 730 and like the knife very much. Just received a 910HS Stryker (wanted to try something in the M2 steel) in the mail on Monday. I much prefer the handle on the 730. It's a tad bit longer, and for someone with large hands like me, seems to provide for a better grip. The end of the Stryker's handle was swallowed by my hand, IE it didn't even lay across the witdth of my whole palm when gripping the knife. Another thing: the 730 seems like a more 'solid' piece, if you ask me. I was able to get a good white knuckle grip on it, something that I was not able to do with the Stryker,without it biting into the end of my palm. But maybe that's just cause I have such large hands.

My suggestion to you is, if you have the option of handling both knives, go check them out and see for yourself. But for me it's the 730. In fact, I sent the Stryker back for a refund yesterday
wink.gif

Peace,

Justin

I already own a Stryker, and it fits my hand pretty well. The size is about right, and I like the index finger recess. I've only handled a 730 once, and very briefly. I have a vague recollection of having liked the general feel of the 730, but that's about it. I didn't have a chance to handle both knives side by side to really analyze the nuances. The two knives are quite similar in some respects. They both have a certain Elishewitz-ness about them: the visual effect of the forward-thrusting blade, if you know what I mean. The Sentinel (Dark Star)--also an Elishewitz design, shares this tendency as well.

One thing I liked immediatley about the 730 Ares was the lack of an obtrusive thumb ramp. (My only significant complaint against the 710 Axis Lock is the (for me) awkwardly placed thumb ramp, which I dremelled down as much as I could without messing up the sructural integrity of the lock. No need to do that on the 730!.)

I haven't obtained a 730 yet, but I have high hopes for it becoming my favorite heavy-duty folder.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

David:
I too have large hands,and as Justin said, th 730 is a better fit for me than my Stryker.
The 730 feels to be a much sturdier knife than the Stryker.
Like Justin I would recommend you handle both and see which is the best for your likes and needs.

------------------
Those who beat their arms into plowshares will plow for those who do not.
R.D.Hatch
Stafford,Virginia

I haven't warmed up to my 730 yet. My 705 locks like a Mauser bolt action, good sound, feels tight. The 730 locks well enough, but doesn't send the same signals. I don't know if I'm describing this correctly, but the axis lock "seems" less sure than the 705. My 730 was also not very sharp (certainly not as sharp as my Spydercos -what is?) Less sharp than the 705. Early production gremlins?
confused.gif

Back