Review/Comparison request of INFI to widely available "SuperSteels" like CPM 3V

I would like to hear real world feedback comparing the performance of Busse's INFI to other SuperSteels like CPM 3V. I am not trying to compare Busse's blade grind to other makers.

For instance, I have heard that CPM 3V has a tendancy to rust but, INFI is coated as well so, does it suffer a similar level of rust when exposed to the elements? How about the Stainless CPM 3V? Is it trying to fill the same niche as INFI? What is the SuperSteel to use in a large field knife assuming reasonable grinds to take advantage of the steels strengths. Thanks!

Stay Sharp,
Sid

I've owned a Battle Mistress in INFI.

I loved the INFI.

I've got at least one CPM-3V blade on order, and would be happy to share my thoughts when i get it (though it may be a while...)

James

------------------
My Home Page (writings)

The beast we are, lest the beast we become.

Any steel with less than about 14% chrome will rust. 3V has about 5%. To get stainless you have to add chrome and give up some toughness, so the Stainless 3V, S30V, will not be as tough as 3V, but is supposed to be a bit tougher than A2, which is pretty good.

I know absolutely nothing about Infi, except I have heard it is an excellent steel.

To accurately assess the qualities of a steel you really can't ignore how it is ground and more importantly how it is heat treated. Any steel, not matter how great its potential can be garbage if it is heat treated or ground poorly. Steels, like ATS-34, which might have a mediocre reputation can result in a great knife if it is ground and heat treated properly.

Any steel can be coated. Since 3V tempers at about 950-1000 degrees, it lends itself to almost any coating process.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Hi Jerry!
Your knives are fantastic and I especially like the look of the Millenium fighters. They're like Ferraris - they look fast even when they're sitting still
smile.gif

Have you ever made one up out of stainless 3V? Do you coat your 3V? It sounds like keeping the qualities of 3V but adding coating for corrosion resistance is the better way to go. It would be great to hear your opinion.

[This message has been edited by HJK (edited 05-14-2001).]

Thanks for the nice remarks. Stainless 3V isn't out yet; Crucible is now saying August, but then they said November, December, January, March and May too. Hmmm, seems to be moving away doesn't it?
smile.gif

I have not coated 3V, but I have etched and polished (sic) it which seems to provide some protection, like passivating I think. 3V doesn't really polish, so a fine brushed finish is about as good as I can do. Better finish = better corrosion resistance.

The problem with coatings is they don't protect the one part of a blade that needs protection the most, the edge. Once you sharpen the knife the coating is gone and the edge is prone to rust. I spend a good bit of time putting a very high finish on the edges on my knives for that reason and that the edge is more durable when polished.

You really shouldn't overreact to the rust issue. Practically speaking, a light coating of a good synthetic oil protects well, even during and after use. Oil is neat stuff; if you scratch it off in a few places, whats left will just spread out to cover what was temporarily exposed, displacing any water that's collected.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

I have used one blade in CPM-3V ground and heat treated by Ed Shott. What impressed me most was the high edge durability given that the edge is ground at a very acute angle around 9 degrees (primary grind goes right to the edge, no secondary edge bevel). Ed also has some impressive flex shots up on his website. Both of these are expected given the high toughness of CPM-3V, that is what it was designed to do.

I think CPM-3V would be a good choice to compare/compete against INFI as like INFI it has a high toughness without having a very low wear resistance and strength. I have been planning to get a CPM-3V blade made similar to the Battle Mistress for some time so I could do a more direct comparison. I may look at it seriously this fall.

In regards to corrosion resistance, the next time my Battle Mistress needs a sharpening I'll do a salt water soak on it and the 3V blade and see if either one is significantly better than the other.

-Cliff

Thanks guys! I am/was trying to compare and contrast the steels themselves as I comptemplate getting a big knife for personal use made. Right now I am leaning towards CPM-3V but, maybe Stainless 3V is worth waiting for. A2 type toughness in a big blade seems like a reasonable choice, in fact Busse among others used it prior to the INFI switch.

With regards to proper heat treating and grind, I couldn't agree more. Production knives with ATS-34 can be brittle and will vary to some extent depending on where they are in the oven. CNC mills and grinders may replicate parts accurately but they can be like a one size fits all solution.

I value the knifemaker who grinds and heat treats my knives as much as I do the steel or any other raw material used in the construction process.

Stay Sharp,
Sid

Back