REVIEW: Husqvarna Forest Axe

I have several GB and .Wetterlings. All have done excellent jobs when called on. My experience is that anything with the Husky name on it is sub standard. If their axes, are like the Husky names things with motors. In fairness I have never used their axes,but it is unlikely they are any better than GB,Wetterlings, or the vintage quality of the older American axes.

Thanks for taking the time to do this very detailed review. As you say, the HFA looks like a bit of a bargain. Might have to treat myself.

I have several GB and .Wetterlings. All have done excellent jobs when called on. My experience is that anything with the Husky name on it is sub standard. If their axes, are like the Husky names things with motors. In fairness I have never used their axes,but it is unlikely they are any better than GB,Wetterlings, or the vintage quality of the older American axes.

Buck- as mentioned in the write-up, the Husky Forest Axe is made by Hults Bruks, Sweden's oldest axe company. Definitely not an inferior axe (the steel is on par with Gransfors Bruks).

300six and RoyalM- You're very welcome

When I was looking into the Husqvarna last summer, I was told by several sources that they were no longer being made by Hultafors...a couple even offered pretty clear hints that they were not of the same quality as earlier versions (which many sellers wouldn't do). I ended up taking a chance on one - figuring "how bad can it be", "maybe I'll get lucky", and "I can always practice on it". Let's just say that I've been practicing my filing/reprofiling off and on since I got it..

I had enough money to buy either a GB forest axe, a velvicut hb, or a velvicut boys axe, and I went with a boys axe as an all around user, but I was a bit sad that I couldn't get something light as well for hikes or even taking with me on an after dinner stroll around the neighborhood with my wife. I think this husqvarna might be the answer for me, although I wish it was a little shorter like the Velvicut HB. Btw RMB, I'm a fan of your blog!

Back