Review: MOD Hornet, Black Ti

Two weeks ago I bought a MOD Hornet (Black Ti) and altho I like the knive there is one thing that really annoys me. Within no time the thumb stud, the scale screws, the “lock screw” and the pivot pin loses the black coating. Now the knife looks as though I used it for years. I know this doesn’t detract the functionality of the knife but I bought this version of the Hornet model because it is completely black and I think it should stay black.
Apart from that the Hornet is a great knife. I like the compact size and the
well-thought handle shape. The lock pass all recommended tests, no blade play and the opening action is very smooth. The blade has perfect grinds and was razor-sharp out of the box.

Same thing happened on my MOD CQD MKII. I believe that it's actually anodized aluminum. Well, now that I just said that, I don't think they'd use aluminum screws in aluminum handles. I guess they are steel. Anyone know for sure? That said, it still probably shouldn't wear off that quickly.

Maybe MOD jobbed them out to EKI. Always lots of complaints about the paint that disappears on Emersons. Think this is the first negative review I remember reading about MOD knives. Most folks rave about the quality. But then, maybe they just don't talk about the paint.

I agree that a black knife should remain black, unless it is deeply scratched. Maybe technology will someday give us black steel, and such things won't be a problem.

I'm certain that the screws are steel. Aluminum screws would strip out almost immediately.

Back