Review of 17 inch, 30 ounce Bojpore by Vim Bhadur kami

I decided to write a small review as part of my EXLAP program.
(ex-lurker atonement program) So here goes...

We took the kids to the Oregon coast during Spring break and part of the time was spent visiting a friend who had an immense Spruce come down during the winter storms. Of course I was looking forward to helping him clean up and giving my 17 inch, 30 ounce Bojpore a good workout.This tree is easily 200+ years old, a real beauty, and missed taking out his house by 20 feet. He used up a lot of tree karma on this one, and it is sad that she had to go down, but there was some disease at the base.

I scored this Bojpure on DOTD about a year ago and it is very nice work by Vim. These don't seem to come around that often and to my eye its shape is similar to the latest Bonecutter model by Sgt, Khadka. If you look at the pic in the Bonecutter files you will see what I mean.

Here is a shot of the khuk early in the day, posed on beautiful Spruce bark. I experimented with wrapping paracord at the end of the handle, a mod I sometimes do with other handles. However, this handle didn't need it and I soon took it off.

2372987040_9f1b740351.jpg

Another picture of this classic blade...

2372151143_a7140abcb6.jpg

I went to work on some big limbs and was very pleased with the power and balance of the blade. Spruce this old is very dense and full of pitch so you earn every chip. I was impressed with the size of the sweet spot, it was quite forgiving of poor aim. Taking off smaller branches is downright fun.

2372987620_341ed3c845.jpg

Taking a photo break, this wood is hard!

2372989018_ae2c431d16.jpg

Comin' round the bend...

2372154699_11407023ce.jpg

One down, many, many more to go. Spruce is very satisfying to chop, it cuts beautifully with a sharp khuk and smells very nice as you work.

2372156055_d90018f505.jpg

After a lot of chopping I was pretty warmed up. I was feeling ambitious, but remember, this is a big tree!

2372996528_3160b3d586.jpg

Nevertheless, I focused and decided to put the khuk to the test. Here I am staring down the log...

2372158053_7ee941bba1.jpg

And here is the log after feeling the power of the Bojpure. Just kidding, many thanks to my son and his photoshop skills!

2373001528_ce3ce33d69.jpg

After two days of work on this tough wood there were no waves in the blade and I only had to do mouse-pad touch up sharpening and stropping. A little scotchbrite on the blade and brass and she's ready for the next job.

The 30 ounce HI Bojpure is a little heavy to swing all day, but is an awesome chopper in a classic package.

Chris
2372164801_ecbd1a3d78.jpg

Great review!

I have been getting interested in kukris and this one looks fantastic.

Man that tree is huge! I need something like that to work on.

Great review, your Bojpore seems to have a different blade profile than others I have seen. Most of the ones I have seen look more like a WW2 and aren't as pointy as yours.

What is the blade thickness? At 17" and 30 ounces it would seem to be close to 1/2".

ilbruche,

I had to laugh because I returned from a week of everywhere I looked there was something to chop, to read your heartbreaking post about a lack thereof. The log is up for grabs if you have a log truck connection!

The Bojpore's blade thickness at the bolster is just under 1/2" helping the blade carry a lot of momentum with a relaxed swing.

I have a 21 inch, 26 ounce Gelbu special by Bura with a Rhododendron handle and I absolutely love it for chopping brush and reach.

Your rehandle job looks excellent and most comfortable! I like the leather shock absorber idea, please let us know how it works...

Back