Review of Boker/Bailey "TanKri" camp/thrower

I'm posting this notice over here and in the knife throwing forum because this knife is really a nice effort at producing both a high quality camp/hunting knife and a throwing knife in the same tool. Have a look at this extensive review at:

http://www.sonic.net/~quine/knives1.html#tankri

The review includes pointers to pictures.

[This message has been edited by matthew rapaport (edited 03-11-2001).]

One detail, you note the thickness as 5/64 and 4 mm. 5/32 is close to 4 mm and 5/64 is very thin, just over 1/16".

Interesting comments on its chopping performance being better than a Steel Heart. Is that the older model or the new "E" one. What size of wood were you working with?

The edge described, 4 mm thick with a 1/2" wide bevel, is about 9 degrees. This is nice and thin, which is good but combine that with 53 RC and I wonder about deformation on harder woods.

The flat sides also seem to indicate that it would bind readily on softer woods. Did you have any problems with this?

The price seems *really* high for a 420J2 blade with a single edge bevel. This is a blade with a similar dual purpose goal :

http://www.brantonknives.com/images/new4.jpg

It is spring steel and made by Boddy Branton and sells for 75$ . :

http://www.brantonknives.com/throwing%20knives.htm

Half turn hits with 10 - 12 feet is nice. This is only about 2 feet shorter than the one rotation throws I do with the Norse 'Hawk from CS.

Have you done a lot of throws with it? I wonder about the lifetime of stainless throwing knives, even the tougher ones like 420J2.

-Cliff

Hi Cliff... You are right, I probably misread 32nds for 64ths. Otherwise, the SHII in question is the older model the the 5deg. offset handle. This test is very subjective. The tankri is thinner than the Busse, and while heavy is not as heavy as the Busse. The edge of the tankri seemed to bite deeper and the flat sides did bind a bit on some initial cuts, but I didn't pay too much attention to this. I didn't do a lot of chopping with it, just enough to know it would chop. I was working with pine seasoned pine logs about 6" in diameter.

By "single edge bevel" I take it you mean no primary and secondary bevels. My description may have been misleading here. I know I only mentioned the primary, but I think there is a secondary. I'll have a closer look at the knife when I get home, but the final edge angle seemed greater than 9deg.

I do know Bobby Branton and his work. His throwers are of a very high quality. They are thicker than the TanKri, heavier, and softer (about 48RC). I also notice they have gone up considerably in price. They also lack removable handles, but whether that is a feature or not is arguable depending on how you really want to use the knife, and they certainly contribute to the high price. That being said, the tankri is very high priced, but that is Boker charging the American market what they think they can get. I didn't say I thought the knife was worth its asking price. Indeed I don't think John Bailey thinks so either. He told me he had nothing to do with setting the price point.

Back