Review of the Steel Will Cutjack(no pictures)

For two agonizing months I waited for the Cutjack. All my other knives used either AUS-8 or 8cr, I figured this was the first step into the next level. It has been five weeks since I have gotten it and want to share my opinion about this new blade. Note: I am fairly new to this addiction, so my experience is quite small.

The blade: is 3.45 inches long with an cutting edge of 3.2''. The other 0.25'' is used for the forward finger choil, which is very nice. I like the choil for opening packages and other small tasks. Because part of the choil extends in the primary bevel, there is a narrow edge that is slightly uncomfortable if used when a lot of force is required. But it is nothing that makes me shy away from using it. The blade is 1.15'' wide and 0.12'' thick.

It has a very high flat sabre grind, which slices almost as well as a FFG. I use it for kitchen tasks and it is absolutely serviceable(in fact, it is the only thing I use in the kitchen, which earns me much ridicule from family members, but it is well worth it). It doesn't have a very ''pointy'' point due to the slight drop point. So I won't be stabbing any Bananas anytime soon:D. The swedge on the spin doesn't do much(as far as I can tell) except enact the same problem with the finger choil, but on a lesser degree.

It uses D2 tool steel, which I can't comment much on because of inexperience. sharpening is just as you'd imagine, a real pain without diamond stones, but so far well worth it because it holds an edge well. Other then that all I know about it is that I really like it.

The Other Half: Is 4.65'' long, 1.1'' at the widest point and 0.45'' thick, it weighs 3.5oz thanks to nested, milled out SS liners. I actually don't like the handle all that much, it has a curve that kinda crams my fingers together. It doesn't feel like a nice fit, an exception to this is if I use the finger choil. Then it fits like a glove. the FRN texturing offers some traction but isn't overly aggressive.

All of the hardware is shiny, quite shiny indeed. It is most annoying on the pocket clip. The pocket clip provides a decent ride, with about 0.7 of the handle sticking out. definitely not a deep carry clip.

The action was acceptable, But after polishing the PB bushings, some Hoppes lubricant(I tried Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide but it made it way worse. either I applied it wrong or it is a dud bottle) and tuning it up it flips smoothly with the slightest whisper of blade play side to side.

The liner lock locks up early, it appears very reliable as I haven't had a problem with it yet.

My final conclusion is the this is a very good budget knife for the next tier. It has reasonable ergonomics, slices very well without sacrificing anything in strength and has a excellent blade
steel and a fair action. I hope this helps anyone looking at this knife, I wrote this because I think this knife deserves some attention and in my opinion is one of the best sub $50 knives out there. Sorry if this is rather long.

Any criticism, comments, questions and opinions are appreciated. Thanks

I’ve had the Cutjack for about the same length of time and can agree with most of your impressions. The handle for me is probably better than what you found but this is solely dependent on one’s own hand. I did find the flipping action on mine was very good right out of the box. Very smooth and fires with some good authority. I haven’t adjusted it at all so far. The blade came perfectly centered but I will say that the blade has drifted just very very slightly toward to lock slide but this can probably be remedied with a slight tightening of the pivot. The hardware is shiny but not an issue for me. The clip is pretty typical of most production clips and works as expected.

I bought the full size Cutjack to see how I liked it. My plan was to eventually buy the M390 was release but I wasn’t sure about the size. I wanted to see if I might want the still unreleased smaller version after handling the full size. Based on this D2 full size version, I think I will definitely buy the smaller version when it comes out. The standard Cutjack is not a “big” knife and it’s pretty slim but I just prefer a smaller EDC size in general. Now the main issue will be do I spend under $40 for the smaller version D2 blade or upgrade to the smaller version M390 blade for about 3 times the price? I think the M390 version will be on bearings and have some upgraded hardware but given how good the D2 version is, I’m not convinced I need to upgrade?

Bottom line, I’m very impressed with the Cutjack but will still buy the smaller model when it comes out. You’re getting a lot of knife for under $50 with the D2 Cutjack. It’s just one of those knives that everyone should try out at some point.

Size comparison with the smaller Lionsteel SR2.

dTQUCwhl.jpg

How did sharpening it go?

I have used mine a fair bit and it's held its edge very well. I have only touched it up a couple times on a Sharpmaker and it did great. Right back to hair popping sharpness with just minimal strokes on the medium and fine rods. I haven't sharpened it yet on bench stones.

How did sharpening it go?
As far as sharpening, it was pretty easy when I got some diamond stones. I've only sharpened it once and get it with a leather strop every now and then. So far it is holding an excellent edge.

Aleforme: Thanks for the photo! As far as upgrading, Personally for me, I would be content with the D2 version. The difference here is steel, material and the action. I don't have much experience with D2 and none with M390 so I can't say much there. Generally I prefer something like FRN over G10 because it is lighter and won't tear up your pockets as much. Ball bearings are better but as you said, the action is already really good. So it comes down to this, do you want really good? Or really damn good? And for the price, I would take the really good.

I have one (full size) and have been using in for several months, this is definitely the best performing D2 knife I've ever had. It holds and edge very well and is more rust resistant than most D2 I have used before, they obviously got the HT spot on. As far as sharpening, it's D2 so it's not easy but if you have diamonds for at least the course grit its not that bad.

I wish they made a better clip, the upward curve on the end of it is annoying as it hits things a lot...does anyone know any other clips that fit?

Back