Review request: Bob Dozier tab stop

Has anyone tried one out yet? This looks like a significant improvement on the locking liner. How does it hold up to torque? How secure is it in the CLOSED position?

Paul

Paul,
I have a tab-lock Buckhunter. On Bob's site this is the DK-TF7. The Trapper models are listed as having the tab-stop. I have had the other model and there is a difference in how the locks are set up but they both do the same thing.

The Buckhunter, Workhorse, and Folding Dagger are all set up the same way. First thing I will mention is the THICK handle slabs. Thickest I have seen on a folder. Thicker than the ones on my MADD MAXX. The locking bar is a T-shaped piece of titanium that is nested and screwed into the ti handle. When you open the knife this liner springs over to engage the entire back of the blade tang. The lockup is very tight with NO blade wobble at all. Spine whack after spine whack resulted in no failures. Haven't really torqued the blade yet to see if it unlocks but doubt that it would. Bob has the fit down pat as the knife is very secure when closed. At the halfway point of closing you feel the blade engage the ball of the liner, and when closed the liner snaps in. Has a walk and talk of the best slipjoint! I would reccomend this knife to anybody.

The Trapper is a newer style that operates a bit different but results in the same end. The Trapper has a double liner lock, one up top as the stop and one down bottom as the lock. I had this one and sold it, don't know why, and the first thing I noticed was the thickness of the liners. Again I have never seen liners this thick, a bit more than half the blades thickness. Lockup was tight with no blade wobble and closing was the same as on my Buckhunter.

I can't praise these knives enough. Very simple lines with superior materials and Bob's craftsmanship have resulted in some very heavy duty folders. Add a clip and you have an outstanding product!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I have a DK-3 Tab-1. Love it!! Lock up is tight, blade design is similar to the Sebenza, while, I think, the D-2 holds up better than the BG-42. My blade is 3" and the handle measures 4 1/2". So it's a little bigger than a small Sebenza. I am a commercial carpenter by day and I am somewhat abusive to my knives--this critter cuts like crazy.

FYI. I had a phone conversation with Mr. Dozier several weeks ago about several things and one thing that came up was the spine whack test. I would like anyone reading this brief review to know what Mr. Dozier thinks about the "higher critics" that promote the spine whack test as being a legitimate testing of his folders or any folders for that matter: "Bull****!"
Mr. Dozier doesn't believe that a folding knife ought to be used as a hammer. He claims that knives are designed to cut objects. Wow. What a revelation!

Here's how I test my folders to see if the lock is secure. I modified a pair of Vise-grips with a set of maple blocks that I epoxied on to the jaws of the pliers. Then I clamp the locked blade and hold the pliers in my left hand. Then I hold my left hand steady as I twist the handle of the knife in both directions as hard as I can. I have defeated many a liner lock knife in this fashion. Result=I don't use the knife for anything work related. Maybe I'll open a letter, but that's about it.

In summary, I think the Dozier Tab locks are worth the investment. And be careful how you test your investment. You may damage both yourself and the knife.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Barry H

Barry you don't know how I cringed when I did the spine whack! I have read so much about this method of testing that I have used it several times on liner lock knives. The first time I used it was on the SERE 2000 after all the bad press about liner failure. I used the test on the BH 3 different times and it passed without any failure. I like the idea of the vise grip to test lock failure and have an extra set that I will try to set up. BTW I laid down some 12oz leather that I had before I brought the back of that Dozier blade down on anything! Happy to say that it did not affect the finish of the blade and did increase my confidence.

Another thing I forgot to mention on the Trapper tab-stop is the lock and stop are cut from the liner itself and are not seperate pieces as on the tab-lock. Still amazed at the thickness of those liners!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I've never thought much of the spine whack. I don't pound with the back of the blade. If the lock won't hold in a torque, or the blade won't stay securely closed, then you have a problem. I had a cheap liner lock come open in my pocket once. I'm glad I didn't try to sit down.
smile.gif
I just stuck myself in the middle of my palm.
frown.gif
That was the only knife I ever intentionally destroyed.

Paul

Back