Review Request: Magna

shootist16

knife law moderator
has anyone really used their Magna hard? Has there been any extensive testing on it? How has it held up? Seems to be built like a tank.

Hi Shootist, for a review of the Magna see if you can find / borrow a copy of Tactical Knives
July 2000. The magna / impulse were cover knives on this issue and helped me decide to buy
both. Sold both eventually when my needs changed, but both are EXCELLENT knives. Little
secret here.......I really miss the Magna.

Thanks for the info. I believe I have one laying around here somewhere.

Arrrrrghhhhh!!!! I couldn't stand it anymore!! Just ordered another Magna in zytel to replace the
one I sold to a buddy. I don't NEED this knife I just reallllly LIKE it. Had planned to buy another
fixed blade but thought ....what the hey! I don't carry fixed blade anymore and I will carry the magna.
Didn't realize just how much I did miss it 'till now. Besides they don't cost that much as good knives go.

Hey Dennis -- haven't used my Magna enuff to really review it in any real sense of the word. But, I sure like it.

Was saying to someone today, that if I were told I had to do a wilderness gig with only one of my folders, I'd be choosing between my Sebenza, Wegner, and the Magna. Given the easier to sharpen steel of the Magna, and it's general size and heft, I'm not at all sure it wouldn't be my choice.

Got some other stuff I'll e-mail you about.

Dave

David, Your company offers knives that are always a good value and in the case of the Magna a
great value. When the one I just ordered arrives I hope it is at least as good a the one I sold. I don't
normally like or use thumb studs and linerlocks prefering instead the old depndable lockback.
Your Magna is so good I can't help but make an exception. Kit Carson designed an excellent
field tool and your company made it affordable to Joe Average. The last knife to do that was
the Buck 110 which is now an accepted classic. The Magna might claim that title for linerlocks.

OOOOHHHH! AAAAAHHHH! My new Magna has arrived!!!! This one is MUCH smoother
than the one I sold. The blade is also just the smallest bit shorter. No matter. This knife is
is still the only liner lock that I"ve ever owned that I can trust. It will also take the place of
the new fixed blade I was ready to order nicely thank you. What a great bargain!! What
a sleeper!!

I too will be getting a Magna soon. I noticed that all of my folders have kind of shallow grinds, so I went in search of a folder that was designed for utility. You know, one for slicing instead og prying open tanks or taking on ninjas. Oh, I wantes something in AUS-8 and something inexpensive. Most of the designs I looked at were Kit Karson designs (I think Kit is a robot, he is just too good!). I decided on the Magna for my needs. A large blade, great grind, and Zytel handle for a small price. I want the Zytel handle because I'm going to make some new scales for the knife. I have talked with a B&M dealer near me and he's gonna hook me up. I can't wait :)

Originally posted by Crayola
I want the Zytel handle because I'm going to make some new scales for the knife.

Did you ever make some new scales for the Magna?

I have been carrying the aluminum handled one as a duty knife for awhile now. I am very impressed. This is one tough knife. So far it has also been ultra reliable. I am considering the zytel version to lighten the weight a little. ;)

I wouldn't mind attempting to put some different scales on it if I didn't think it would be too difficult.

Actually, I haven't got the Magna yet :( I found a B&M place I'm gonna order it through. But I have about $15 disposable income right now, and that is Canadian dollars!

My project is on hold, but I WILL be getting a Magna. I held one in Spetember, and wow was I impresses.

To Shootist:

For reference, the Zytel Magna is actually 0.4 ounces heavier than the aluminum. We had to go with thicker liners on the Zytel model to make up for the lower stiffness on the Zytel compared to aluminum. All the weight in the Magna lies in the blade and liners. The Al and Zytel scales weigh practically nothing compared to the steel this full size folder.

Back