Review Request: Mayo TNT

For those of you who have one, what do you think? How does it open, close, cut...sturdy construction? Which one do you have? I'd probably be looking for the smaller version so I can carry it legally, simililar in size to the Sebenza. Does it surpass the Sebby design wise.

I appreciate any input you might have. Oh, I don't need input on Talonite, thanks, there's a 400 post thread which I got my fill of
smile.gif

Take care,
Tom

------------------
"A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains"

Tom Mayo's Talonite aNd Titanium? I have two, a standard TNT-JF and an Ultralight (small)TNT. The workmanship is flawless, the grip hand filling, yet not bulky. Action is smooth and lock-up positive. The Talonite does not work well... soft and does not hold an edge too long, also does not require frequent resharpening due to poor qualities of Talonite.
smile.gif
The Ultralight is my daily carry.

Copfish: Thanks for your response. Is your ultralight the one with .125" scale and blade (any pics)? Yea, I heard about the poor qualities of Talonite, really disapointing
wink.gif

Richard: Yes I know Copfish is a troublemaker. It takes quite a devious mind to start the biggest flamewar in Bladeforums history, even beating the notorious "Mad Dog" threads. But I'm on to him....sshhh...come closer....o.k.....he's just trying to get all the Talonite for himself.....sneaky bastid eh. Yep he started that thread in order to suck all the bandwidth out of BF to try to crash Mike's server. When that happens no-one will be able to learn about the real secrets of Talonite. Copfish knows Tuber would have to sell his Corvette in order to by a larger server for BF and that's not going to happen. Then Mr. Copfish will have all the Talonite for Mr. Mayo and Mr. Blade to make his dream.....a full set of Talonite kitchen knives. Oh the horror.....the horror.

Tom: I'd hope you'd like yours. Tom, what type of bearings do you use in your TNT's? What's the differece between your OM and JF models?

If anybody else has any input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

Take care,
Tom

------------------
"A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains"

I have a standard sized OM (#17). The difference between the two models is that the OM is a clip point and the JF is a drop point. I love my TNT. Workmanship is flawless, action is extremely smooth, and of course Tom always has a 100% guarantee that you will love the knife or he will make it right. My standard size perfectly fills the void between my small decorated Sebenza and my large Sebenza. I don't need to tell you about the wonders of Talonite but I did ask Tom about the hole in the blade since I was used to the thumbstuds on my Sebenzas. Tom recommended the hole even though he will make a TNT with thumbstuds on request. I have learned to use the hole to open my TNT and the nice thing is that it is ambidextrous (still working on that left hand of mine) and there is no thumb stud to catch on the inside of a pocket. Carry is tip-down as opposed to the Sebenza tip-up carry. I have to say that as the owner of Sebenzas (you know about the passion that Sebenza owners have for their CR knives) I never thought that I would want/need anything other than a Sebenza. Now I have a new love. I still love my Sebenzas but my TNT is special. One thing that you can't get from pictures is the beautiful finish and shape of the TNT. When viewed from the end the TNT has a nice curve to the titanium scales as opposed to the flat slab of a Sebenza. Finally, you will never deal with anyone nicer to deal with than Tom Mayo. I absolutely give Tom and his knives my highest recommendation.

-Steven

Talonite does NOT work... Don't buy it! I have the Ultralight proto and the JF proto #001. I carry my Ultralight daily. The workmanship is flawless, but the Talonite does not cut well... dang, there goes my finger... okay, seems to cut forever... but those of you that like plain old 440 will hate it... Yes, I am having Allen Blade make me a Tactical Kitchen MEUK... blue scales, Allen's awesome kydex and a big wide flat ground blade! AAARRRGGG!!!! I need more Talonite!

Post Script: I will be at the Blade show on fri and sat with a few for sale....mostly at the Strider Knives table hanging out with my buddies Mick and Duane> hope to see you there...Ill be the chubby one
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 09-06-2000).]

Back