Review : Spyderco Military and Calypso Jr.

Cliff
It is my day off and surprise
smile.gif
the mail man brought my new military.
It passed the spine whack test, all other tests. The only way I can get it to fail is if the bottom of my index finger is purposefully used to disengage the lock when squeezing and rotating. This scenerio would be possible in use, but unlikely. I just tried this test on other linerlocks and it looks like by design all would fail. Is this what you are talking about, or an I missing something? Again, thank you for your professional and useful reviews. IMHO, your postings are what helps keep this forum great.
Thank you
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?

The only way I can get it to fail is if the bottom of my index finger is purposefully used to disengage the lock when squeezing and rotating. This scenerio would be possible in use, but unlikely. I just tried this test on other linerlocks and it looks like by design all would fail. Is this what you are talking about, or an I missing something?

I could get my Military to unlock just by tightening my grip, I would not just be moving my index finger but of course it would happen as a part of my hand clenching. However the grip that was needed to do this was very sensitive as to how my index finger was aligned across the liner. I could tell when I picked it up that the grip was "bad", so for normal use I would be able to get around it. However I would not feel secure for emergency use or giving it to friends.

It is a problem that is common with liner locks and you can get around it by keeping the liner lock recessed so the surface of your fingers do not make strong contact with it. I had a mini-afck that would not unlock even when I used some very odd grips that presented the liner at the worse security alignment. As with any issue of lock security a lot depends on the grip of the person holding the knife. I am glad your Military held up for you, the geometry looked very high performing to me and of course 440V should cut very well.

-Cliff

Back