RFI: Christe Knife

amacks

Gold Member
I have come into possesion of A Christe brand knife. It has a single, very thin blade which comes out of the front of the knife. The knife is opened/closed/locked by a button on a mechanism at the bottom of the blade. There is a small pin which fits into holes on the inside of the track in which the blade slides.

The handle is a single oval, gold-filled with a light engraved filagree pattern. Any info would be welcome. The only thing like this that I have ever seen was in an old Atlanta Cutlery catalogue, listed as a customs agent knife, with stainless steel handles and 440A blade, $19.99.
Aaron

------------------
Why did you stab that girl?
You won't believe this, but I had too much coffee!
-Edmond by David Mamet
aaronm@cs.brandeis.edu

I remember plain versions of a knife like that from the late 1950s. They were sold by a newsagent near where I worked in Brisbane, Australia. Not a quality item. I am not sure but I gained the impression that blade and frame might have been chrome plated.

And, Aaron....I might be a bit precious...but I think your sig is a bit tasteless. Not really good for our (or the forum's) image. Just my opinion, of course. Not trying to start a vendetta
smile.gif

------------------
Brian W E
ICQ #21525343
Money : spend it before it is all gone.

In one of my old "Knives" books they have an article about the Christy knife. I'll check them and let ya know what year.
Blades

I had one of those several years ago. They used to be sold by variety stores, hardware stores etc. They came displayed on a cardboard sheet with a key chain. You would just pull it off and pay the clerk. As I recall they retailed for about $1.99. The one you have sounds like a special edition. I seem to vaguely recall that several years ago Christie made a special run commemorating so many years in business. I'm not positive about that. If that is true that may be what you have.

------------------
who dares, wins

I have a Christy knife that I picked up at a gun show, it came in a plastic hinged lid box with an instruction sheet and a spare blade. I believe they introduced this knife in 1936 although the company dates to 1890. They went out of business in 1971, but were restarted in 1974 by a releative of the original Christy.

I had one when I was a kid and I thought it was a great design because you could lock the blade in different positions, so you had short blades and longer blades all in one, and it was my first lock-blade knife and my first one-hand opener -- but the lock broke. It's fragile.

Maybe somebody could make a stronger out-the-front manual that could lock in different positions. Are any manufacturers reading this thread? How about custom makers?

-Cougar Allen :{)

Back