1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rift vs Stryker II

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Pinnacle64, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Pinnacle64

Pinnacle64 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Going to order another carbon fiber Benchmade the Rift (950-1801 limited) or KSF 908-1501 Stryker II. Have several 940’s love them just looking for something a touch larger, but still comfortable to EDC while hiking/working everyday. I was wondering if anyone has had these knives and their thoughts size/carry wise.

Right know aim leaning heavily towards the 908 it looks alittle thinner and straighter pocket profile for carry comfort.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I have the regular 908 SBK Stryker, but not the 950 so I can't comment on the RIFT. I chose the 908 as it was obviously old stock but I got it for a song, at least fifty bucks cheaper than the RIFT (all in CAD funds) so that is point one. Then, I have read several complaints on the handle ergonomics of the 950, but very little on the 908 so that is point two. Of course, there are far more people who are absolutely delighted with their 950 so there's that. But I really like my 908, as close to an "Emerson" as I'll probably ever get.

I only have the g10 handle on my 908 but I don't find it too rough on my pockets, at least not yet. However, I think the CF on the KSF Stryker and better steel would be the deal clincher for me. Then again the RIFT might be sweet too...

3. Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    Good points, both knives really interest me honestly. One reason I was leaning towards the 908 is availability for the future. I can always get a regular 950 G10 down the road is one of my thoughts.

4. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    950 didn't do it for me. However, the 908 youre considering is one of the nicest Benchmades ever made IMO. The thumb bump above the stop pin isn't my favorite, but it still works really well in hand.

[​IMG]

tjweeks, Nbrackett, colin.p and 2 others like this.
  5. mrfields

mrfields

Jun 30, 2017
    i only have the 9555 auto rift in g10, don’t have a stryker to compare it to. i have held one a while back in a store, but never had one to use. keeping that in mind, for me the rift has the best ergos of all my knives. i couldn’t imagine anything else coming close. of course that’s subjective, best bet is to get them both in hand if possible & see what works best for you

6. Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    Ordered the 908-1501 heck I’ll end up with a Rift also I’m sure before I’m done.

Nbrackett and colin.p like this.
  7. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    I love my 908-1501! The regular version is a little thinner in the handle area but has more grip texture (picked one up because I was afraid the 1501 might find it's way out of my back pocket while riding the motorcycle).

I handled the Rift in-store. I really like the blade shape, but I just can't warm up to the way the handle feels in my hand. YMMV.

colin.p likes this.
  8. Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    557A7732-9C17-499C-A3A7-F9B8E94FE7F0.jpeg

My 908-1501 arrived it’s a nice EDC size and blade profile for me. No disappointed with the purchase it’s a keeper for sure. I put it with all my newest arrivals to the collection don’t tell my wife

jazub and colin.p like this.
  9. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I'm solidly in the 950 camp, preferring the blade shape and handle; but that's why there are so many different knives. Enjoy your 908

colin.p likes this.
  10. Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    I have and like the 810-1401 KW contego similar blade shape as 950. I really like the blade a lot it’s just the 810 is alittle too big for me everyday.

I’m going to buy a 950 next just may have to wait a awhile to recover from these purchases.

11. teddyashe

teddyashe Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I have both models your considering. For looks - the 908 for sure. For overall utility - the 950 all day. Much better slicer with surprisingly decent ergos. Both are absolutely solid knives for sure

12. loonybin

loonybin Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 1999
    The Rift handle is a love or hate thing. If it fits your hand, it's amazing. If it doesn't, you hate it. The pinky bump on the belly side of the handle falls perfectly between my ring and pinky finger, so it fits me perfectly -- and the Rift is definitely my favorite knife. If that bump were a half inch either way, it would probably be uncomfortable. Likewise, the 808 Loco puts the pinky bump in the wrong spot on my hand and I hated it.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  13. Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    86D48755-018A-4347-8B85-BFAA3FF06AED.jpeg

Yep, I did it no-self control bought both of them. I can survive on bread and peanut butter one more week :)

Honestly, I like both models the size is almost the same between them. Maybe just a very small touch thicker on the Rift.

Handle wise the Rift is also a touch more comfortable for me. That said both fill my hand nicely.

Like both blade shapes about the same no preference yet.

Both the knifes came pretty much spot on blades centered perfectly, fit and finish nice.

Only thing I could pick on both needed to be opened about 100-200 times to smooth out the action to my liking. I think it’s a coated blade thing to me it seems they need a-little wear to smooth the action glass like.

Overall, the 908 has really, really grown on me for a EDC knife. Time will tell if the Rift does the same.

Scott321 and colin.p like this.
  14. FiveToes

FiveToes Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    I picked up a Stryker after reading this thread. I'd never heard of it before but it's a nice looking and feeling blade, especially in M4. It's brand new but it has terrible lock stick. I'm hoping it smooths out. This is the first Axis lock I've ever had with stick.

15. Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    I’ve never had Axis with lock stick myself, but I have had it with more traditional design locks/brands. They all smoothed out with use/wear I normally worked the blade while watching TV to accelerate the process.

I had looked at the 908-1501 for over a year and every time ended up buying something else instead. I wish I would have bought one sooner it’s a perfect fit for me EDC most of the time. I do like to carry bigger blade/knives 3.75” to 4.25” in that 5-6 oz’s area at times. That said, then there’s times a mid-sized less aggressive model fits my use better.

The limited 950 is pretty wicked also and has more wow factor to me side by side. Size wise they are basically the same for all intents and purposes. Right now I still lean to the 908 a very slight advantage for me personally. It’s a very close call though really like both and glad I have both.

The M4 and S30v blades are both crazy sharp level. The 950 S30v blade was the sharpest blade I’ve ever opened out of the box it’s insane will shave paper edges almost hair thin just plain nuts. I use leather strop’s and compounds 95% of the time for sharpening and all my knives are extreme sharp but that’s after a lot of work by me.

I know a lot of guys are bored with S30v steel now, however some of the sharpest knives I’ve ever owned have been Benchmade S30v knives I can just really get a fine edge on them. Sometimes so sharp it makes me nervous. I’ve only had a handful of M4 blades so far but bunches of M390,S90V,20v,204p,cpm 154,Elmax other premium steels.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  16. Basher313

Basher313 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Stryker for me. I’ve owned both, and both are great blades, but the Stryker handle fit me much better. I still need to track down a 908BK to replace mine, but I seem to be on a weird fixed blade kick lately...

17. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Seeing this thread put the 908BK in my pocket today. It's a great knife that I should carry more, but already have too many excellent knives vying for pocket time. My wife has a mini-Stryker, and two fullsize--and SBK and a satin plain edge. We like the AXIS Stryker a lot in this house.

I bought a Rift a couple years back when SMKW was practically giving them away. Despite having a really interesting blade and not a bad in-hand fit, it really didn't do much for me and I passed the savings along to one of our good members here.

Shot these just now in the side yard and included yesterday's carry, one of my all-time favorites--the 710, one of the three I have out of the 5 I've owned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Edm1

Edm1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2013
    I have an auto Rift that I carry frequently. I love the blade shape. Seems to go on forever. And it is a great slicer. Feels great in my hand too.

19. Pinnacle64

Oct 25, 2013
    I just finished putting a blue ano TI MXG short-deep carry clip on my 950-1801. I like it better than the factory clip it sits lower into pocket out of sight now. I still need a-little more user experience to give the full thumbs up.

Both the 950-1801 and 908-1501 are awesome knives. Good blade to handle ratio, weight in that 4-5oz and good ergonomics for my hand size (large glove).