Rigging Knives - Work in Progress

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I'm making a couple of rigging/sailing knives in 154cm steel, check 'em out!

I just got in from working on these, they are going to be a fun project. More information soon! :D

I'm about to cut a couple of 8.5" long pieces of steel with my friction saw.

002-9.jpg

Here's one after some stock reduction. I'm using a 36 Blaze belt on my KMG grinder for this part.

004-18.jpg

Profiled out!

006-11.jpg

...starting the holes for the hardware and lanyard.

011-8.jpg

I have the two profiled, drilled, chamfered and nearly ready for heat treat. More photos soon!

Yeah, one is taken though...

I think this design will work great for kayaking or any on the water purpose, I spent years complaining about certain features in my rigging knives, so now I get one how I want it! Lots of thought went into it.

-Xander

Thanks guys! I call it a rigging knife but it is a great design around the water.

I'm hoping these two prototypes will be the start of a bigger later run and new DFK model. I also plan on a smaller Titanium version with a possible strap on/dive style sheath.

Matching Marlin Spike? Although that might be too much awesome... :D

Thanx, awc!

I didn't have the wallet I mean nerve to ask....but I'm glad YOU did!

Thanks guys! Here's some more progress... the knives ground at 36 grit and a shot of the tapered tang.

012-7.jpg

017-4.jpg

What is the blade length on these? I'm guessing around 4" but maybe less?

Gonna have to wait for Daniel to answer that. When I order a custom knife I give only basic parameters for specific use and let the maker to what they do best - create! When we first started discussing this way back in october I told him anywhere from 3.5" to 5" is my comfort zone for these. My only input was sheepsfoot blade, a little belly and knuckle clearance. Lanyard hole is a must for working aloft. So you are seeing a purpose built original by DFK!

I'm kinda curious about it too, but the excitment of not knowing until it arrives is unmatched!

-Xander

Anxious as all get out! I'm super stoked!

-Xander
It's going to rock! :D

What is the blade length on these? I'm guessing around 4" but maybe less?
I need to measure them but I think they are around 4" with a 4.5" handle... don't quote me on that because they are in the shop and I am guessing. They are pretty large but super light, around 165 grams!

Gonna have to wait for Daniel to answer that. When I order a custom knife I give only basic parameters for specific use and let the maker to what they do best - create! When we first started discussing this way back in october I told him anywhere from 3.5" to 5" is my comfort zone for these. My only input was sheepsfoot blade, a little belly and knuckle clearance. Lanyard hole is a must for working aloft. So you are seeing a purpose built original by DFK!

I'm kinda curious about it too, but the excitment of not knowing until it arrives is unmatched!

-Xander

It's getting closer! I split the teak scales today, they are just beautiful.

:thumbup: { insert pix of teak scales here }

:thumbup: { INSERT MORE INFO ABOUT TITANIUM VERSION WITH TEAK SCALES HERE } :thumbup:

:D { PLEASE } :D

:thumbup: { insert pix of teak scales here }

:thumbup: { INSERT MORE INFO ABOUT TITANIUM VERSION WITH TEAK SCALES HERE } :thumbup:

:D { PLEASE } :D

Soon! On the teak at least, Ti sounds like a great idea and I want to make some that way eventually.

Here's a video of the rough grinding

[video=youtube_share;wCyayB5q2as]http://youtu.be/wCyayB5q2as[/video]

Sweet Daniel... Put me down for one when you start kicking them out.

Cut back on the RedBull Bro! :D

I have the scales on both almost ready for glue-up! One set is teak and the other is black paper micarta. The teak just looks awesome and is some tough material especially because it is stabilized. The black paper micarta is about the lightest scale material I know of plus it is strong and looks great; I really like the way it looks with a satin finish.

Here you can see that I went for the best wood in the block. It has nice figure for teak and I hope to bring it out.

Jadebath-wippics013.jpg

Here's a rough shot of the one in black paper micarta, you can see that it is ground to a satin finish. (well you can almost see, it's pretty dusty!)

Top right
Jadebath-wippics010.jpg

Sweet Daniel... Put me down for one when you start kicking them out.

Cut back on the RedBull Bro! :D

Thanks Ryan!

...yeah that red bull is gnarly stuff! I need some on occasion with the new baby but it takes it out of you later when the caffeine wears off.

Back