1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Rigging Knives - Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Daniel Fairly Knives, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm making a couple of rigging/sailing knives in 154cm steel, check 'em out!

I just got in from working on these, they are going to be a fun project. More information soon! :D

I'm about to cut a couple of 8.5" long pieces of steel with my friction saw.

[​IMG]

Here's one after some stock reduction. I'm using a 36 Blaze belt on my KMG grinder for this part.

[​IMG]

Profiled out!

[​IMG]

...starting the holes for the hardware and lanyard.

[​IMG]

I have the two profiled, drilled, chamfered and nearly ready for heat treat. More photos soon!

2. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    WooHoo! Can't wait to see how these turn out!

-Xander

3. Balldboy

Balldboy Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2003
    My interest is picked...or peaked.

4. theflyingplatypus

theflyingplatypus

Oct 13, 2010
    Was just thinking about getting a knife for kayaking. I wonder if this would be it?

Kaleb

5. Balldboy

Balldboy Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Well...he is making 2 knives...;)

6. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Yeah, one is taken though...

I think this design will work great for kayaking or any on the water purpose, I spent years complaining about certain features in my rigging knives, so now I get one how I want it! Lots of thought went into it.

-Xander

7. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks guys! I call it a rigging knife but it is a great design around the water.

I'm hoping these two prototypes will be the start of a bigger later run and new DFK model. I also plan on a smaller Titanium version with a possible strap on/dive style sheath.

8. Gnarly

Gnarly

May 12, 2010
    Yum.

Titanium?
    Double Yum!

9. awc

awc

Jan 13, 2011
    Matching Marlin Spike? Although that might be too much awesome... :D

10. Gnarly

Gnarly

May 12, 2010
    Thanx, awc!

I didn't have the wallet I mean nerve to ask....but I'm glad YOU did!

11. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks guys! Here's some more progress... the knives ground at 36 grit and a shot of the tapered tang.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Anxious as all get out! I'm super stoked!

-Xander

13. awc

awc

Jan 13, 2011
    What is the blade length on these? I'm guessing around 4" but maybe less?

14. fast14riot

Oct 27, 2010
    Gonna have to wait for Daniel to answer that. When I order a custom knife I give only basic parameters for specific use and let the maker to what they do best - create! When we first started discussing this way back in october I told him anywhere from 3.5" to 5" is my comfort zone for these. My only input was sheepsfoot blade, a little belly and knuckle clearance. Lanyard hole is a must for working aloft. So you are seeing a purpose built original by DFK!

I'm kinda curious about it too, but the excitment of not knowing until it arrives is unmatched!

-Xander

15. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    It's going to rock! :D

I need to measure them but I think they are around 4" with a 4.5" handle... don't quote me on that because they are in the shop and I am guessing. They are pretty large but super light, around 165 grams!

It's getting closer! I split the teak scales today, they are just beautiful.

16. Gnarly

Gnarly

May 12, 2010
    :thumbup: { insert pix of teak scales here }

:thumbup: { INSERT MORE INFO ABOUT TITANIUM VERSION WITH TEAK SCALES HERE } :thumbup:

:D { PLEASE } :D

17. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Soon! On the teak at least, Ti sounds like a great idea and I want to make some that way eventually.

Here's a video of the rough grinding

[video=youtube_share;wCyayB5q2as]http://youtu.be/wCyayB5q2as[/video]

18. RyanW

RyanW Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 17, 2009
    Sweet Daniel... Put me down for one when you start kicking them out.

Cut back on the RedBull Bro! :D

19. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    I have the scales on both almost ready for glue-up! One set is teak and the other is black paper micarta. The teak just looks awesome and is some tough material especially because it is stabilized. The black paper micarta is about the lightest scale material I know of plus it is strong and looks great; I really like the way it looks with a satin finish.

Here you can see that I went for the best wood in the block. It has nice figure for teak and I hope to bring it out.

[​IMG]

Here's a rough shot of the one in black paper micarta, you can see that it is ground to a satin finish. (well you can almost see, it's pretty dusty!)

Top right
    [​IMG]

20. Daniel Fairly Knives

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks Ryan!

...yeah that red bull is gnarly stuff! I need some on occasion with the new baby but it takes it out of you later when the caffeine wears off.