RIP Charlie Mike

This is Matt’s ex-wife. I was devastated by the news of his passing. The world lost a talented kind man. RIP Matt, it breaks my heart to know you are gone.

Diane, my condolences, I’ve know Matt since he was 17. We were on the phone the night before the fight and we talked a lot after.

A lot of folks wanna do something for, in memory of him. He had his faults as you well know but he was good man, generous to a fault.

I don’t know if you’re in contact with his mom still but if you are or know of a charity or organization they could donate on his behalf it would be nice if they could. There’s the obvious choices AA and your local animal rescue facility.

Anyway if you know of someplace could you please contact me so I can pass the word on.

My email is tederdelyi at gmail dot com I believe it’s on my profile page too.

Thanks,
Ted E.

I just heard about this today. Knew Matt for a long time, he waved a Matriarch for me and made me a few customs. He struggled more than most of you knew, but he ALWAYS was positive and optimistic, even at the darkest times, he could make a joke out of anything.

He came a long way with his knifemaking skills. The first knife he made me he did while using meth... the grind was shit. After he did the sobriety thing I sent it back to him for a regrind, which he did for free, laughing about what a shitty job he'd done the first time. I carried that for years and still have it somewhere. It's a keeper.

We disagreed on a lot of things and he could be rather obnoxious at times, but he was forever poking fun at himself and his faults. Sometimes he would randomly call me on the phone and ramble for hours. He came a long way. He stayed sober for 5 years, became a respected knifemaker, was well liked, and always tried his best to be a good guy. He will be missed.

Very sad news. I never met him but always enjoyed reading his post and felt a bond with him as another sandbox vet.

I remember when Matt first joined the forums. (18 - 20 years ago maybe) You could always tell he was super passionate about knives. He was a good guy and one of only a few people that I've seen who were able to turn their lives around. RIP Matt.

What can we say that hasn’t already been said? Matt was special. Different. Stood out amongst us. I didn’t know him personally but always read his posts, watched his videos and enjoyed his banter. He had a way about him. A charismatic “f*ck it” attitude. As a combat vet, I felt a kinship with him. As a knife lover, I felt it even more.

Without a doubt he will be missed. This community won’t be the same. I will miss his posts and his YouTube videos. I truly hope he did not suffer and I truly hope he is at peace.

Till Valhalla, brother.

This was a gut punch to a lot of us.
Matt and I go back to his early days on the mighty J.D. and he was as goofy a fuck as you could find anywhere.........which is why we got on so well.
We shared that and later , sobriety.
I had some 25 years clean when he decided he had enough and I applauded his choices with both hands.
We parked our senses of humor in the same garage , and reading how many people he touched makes me happy and proud.
Every time I look at my Heisenberg bobble head , I will think of him and how brightly he burned , and how much I miss him.
Vaya Con Dios , Matt.
And my heartfelt condolences to everyone who knew and loved him.

Wow. I a m speechless. This is terrible, I will miss you greatly. I know you belong in heaven, so I'm sure you will be fine. I pray for your family.

Hopefully there are some knife making tools up theet.

Rest in peace brother.
Edit:

I donated $100 to the fund.

Last edited:
I've been into knives for maybe 8 or nine years, Matt has always been a figure that I have known of or have interacted with. It felt like it was always going to be that way. When I woke up to a DM on instagram saying Matt had passed, it was like hearing Mount Rushmore had fallen down. It still doesn't seem real. I was not ever close enough to him to be anything more than an occasional customer and "internet friend", but he was always a pleasure to interact with. He was a good man who meant more to more people than he realized. He was the embodiment of an outlaw knife maker.

He has left a void in the knife world that cannot be filled.

Rest easy, Matt. I miss you.

Rest in Peace. Charlie Mike/ Matt was at once an old soul and a young spirit, a good man who will be missed.

Shocking to see this today. A huge loss to the Forum.

God bless his friends and family in this difficult time.

Back