Risking being thrown out

This will come across as a very dull (pun intended) comment. However, as I read your very interesting response I sensed that the thought process initiated at the hand. That is, from the experience of working with a knife in your hand to applying your knowledge of metallurgy to improve your experience with the knife, and not the other way around. This sounds lame to the max but I think it’s very important. I don’t know the first thing about steels but I’ve used knives for more years than I’d like to acknowledge and I’ve often found myself thinking about how the steel on my knife could better perform. And I believe the CPK approach is what makes these knives superior.

Nathan did his D2 work first, but it didn’t put him on the map. The Delta 3V HT protocol is a big part of what did, and that was essentially a 3 way collaboration at the time.

And there was a separate design collaboration with Lorien.

That isn’t a coincidence nor do I say it to take anything away from him. Things like the comp chopper came out of that success because it provided the resources required to pursue those interests.

A sad part of that success came at the hands of another makers failing, but this is life.

The question after D3V became what’s next? We found out regarding 4V. Well, I can tell you two things. Nathan gets bored of things, then he doesn’t want to make them anymore.

Second, pique his interest in a project and that is how you are likely to find he will work on it.

I believe, rather than pointing him backwards at a project that at this point was probably 10 years ago, and have him repeat it, why not take the desired application, research it yourself, find a specific need, and then see if Nathan can take what he’s learned for example the metallurgy and ergonomics, and combine it with hopefully a new material that he might find interesting.

That’s a good way, in my experience to have him visit a topic. I say this as someone who years ago worked very hard to get a run of a discontinued project, and felt some guilt about it afterward. I think Nathan actually liked me less for it.

Nathan did his D2 work first, but it didn’t put him on the map. The Delta 3V HT protocol is a big part of what did, and that was essentially a 3 way collaboration at the time.

And there was a separate design collaboration with Lorien.

That isn’t a coincidence nor do I say it to take anything away from him. Things like the comp chopper came out of that success because it provided the resources required to pursue those interests.

A sad part of that success came at the hands of another makers failing, but this is life.

The question after D3V became what’s next? We found out regarding 4V. Well, I can tell you two things. Nathan gets bored of things, then he doesn’t want to make them anymore.

Second, pique his interest in a project and that is how you are likely to find he will work on it.

I believe, rather than pointing him backwards at a project that at this point was probably 10 years ago, and have him repeat it, why not take the desired application, research it yourself, find a specific need, and then see if Nathan can take what he’s learned for example the metallurgy and ergonomics, and combine it with hopefully a new material that he might find interesting.

That’s a good way, in my experience to have him visit a topic. I say this as someone who years ago worked very hard to get a run of a discontinued project, and felt some guilt about it afterward. I think Nathan actually liked me less for it.

Thank you for the story. It’s all very interesting. I don’t know the first thing about steel except that the knives Tony Bose has made for me during the last thirty years in 440V and D2 are far better than any other knife I’ve tried. By better I mean edge holding. Tony’s D2 is totally different (better) than any other D2 I’ve tried. So I wouldn’t tell the maker of CPK knives what steel to use, no way.

Also, and that was the point of my post, I believe Nathan is widely experienced dressing game to know just what knife to make for birds, in this case. I could say that I like a swedge on some blades because it makes it easier to turn the edge on some cuts, or that a thin (from spine to edge) blade is the way to go... But that’s it.

Lastly, thank you for your kind suggestion and for sharing your experience. :thumbsup:

Back