How To Rit Dye Attempt #1

So maybe I could have titled this “the wrong way to rit dye your Battle Grade knives,” but I’m happy with how they turned out. “Wrong” because I decided to dye these after they were stripped, instead of before, but rust spots/staining turned out to be minimal and easy to remove. A couple of minutes with fine steel wool was enough to clean up the blades for pics.

Method was just under a quart of water with a little dish soap heated to ~160f. This was poured into a large Ball jar with ~2oz of liquid Cherry Red Rit Dye and a few drops of Black dye. Stirred up the mixture and put the blades in handle down until the scales were both completely submerged and let soak for 40-45 minutes. *Note I did skip the recommended salt addition due to concerns around corrosion.

After pulling, I patted dry with paper towels, then did a cold rinse and pat dry again, and then a wash with hot water and dish soap as per the Rit instructions (also wore rubber gloves and old clothes). Finally, I let them dry completely in the sun outside. Once satisfied that the scales were dry and they weren’t going to transfer dye onto my hands, I rubbed them down with some mineral oil on a piece of microfiber cloth and called it done.

Both knives had tan canvas handles to start. I liked them stock, but had been curious about dye for a while and decided to go for a diy maroon. Cherry Red wasn’t my first choice, but it was the only red they at at Walmart and I can be pretty lazy lol.

Results:

CD42-CB07-ACDB-4-BBB-9-A9-C-FD96-AF9246-E0.jpg

Time will tell how they hold up. I didn’t use any dye fixative, but did throw a lid on my jar of dye in case I want to go for round 2 with this color. Someday I might also try going to black.

Looks fine. I did this on a user RMD. Same shade of reddish brown. It also came out well.

So maybe I could have titled this “the wrong way to rit dye your Battle Grade knives,” but I’m happy with how they turned out. “Wrong” because I decided to dye these after they were stripped, instead of before, but rust spots/staining turned out to be minimal and easy to remove. A couple of minutes with fine steel wool was enough to clean up the blades for pics.

Method was just under a quart of water with a little dish soap heated to ~160f. This was poured into a large Ball jar with ~2oz of liquid Cherry Red Rit Dye and a few drops of Black dye. Stirred up the mixture and put the blades in handle down until the scales were both completely submerged and let soak for 40-45 minutes. *Note I did skip the recommended salt addition due to concerns around corrosion.

After pulling, I patted dry with paper towels, then did a cold rinse and pat dry again, and then a wash with hot water and dish soap as per the Rit instructions (also wore rubber gloves and old clothes). Finally, I let them dry completely in the sun outside. Once satisfied that the scales were dry and they weren’t going to transfer dye onto my hands, I rubbed them down with some mineral oil on a piece of microfiber cloth and called it done.

Both knives had tan canvas handles to start. I liked them stock, but had been curious about dye for a while and decided to go for a diy maroon. Cherry Red wasn’t my first choice, but it was the only red they at at Walmart and I can be pretty lazy lol.

Results:

CD42-CB07-ACDB-4-BBB-9-A9-C-FD96-AF9246-E0.jpg

Time will tell how they hold up. I didn’t use any dye fixative, but did throw a lid on my jar of dye in case I want to go for round 2 with this color. Someday I might also try going to black.
They look just like maroon canvas. Good Job!

I have owned a maroon WTF and a hand smoothed NFBA. These pics are making me want some maroon canvas back in my collection. Especially that hand shaped micarta. I wonder how easy it would be to smooth my FHFG Infimandu?

I have owned a maroon WTF and a hand smoothed NFBA. These pics are making me want some maroon canvas back in my collection. Especially that hand shaped micarta. I wonder how easy it would be to smooth my FHFG Infimandu?

I’ve done hand-sanded scales on my BG AMS, SOS and DTBM. Would say maybe 1-2hrs of work. Starting with a low coarse grit to start helps, then it’s mainly a matter of what progression you use and how high you want to take it. I left the AMS pretty coarse but don’t remember what grits were used.

Looks like they took color really well!

I was going to say, I thought I used salt when I did some but then I see you mentioned that. Turned out great.

Looks good :thumbsup:

I've had great luck with this stuff vvv --- it's permanent and super easy, to boot:

Step one: Order from the big river site
Step two: dab on with q-tips or similar

cykz2BO.jpg

BM-e with gray-ish black canvas Micarta handles before:
R8TKEPr.jpg

after "takin care of bidness" she's Elvis '68 Comeback Tour raven black! :cool:
1625329653848.png

evNTTqU.jpg

even works on TeroTuf <that TeroTuf is some Tuff Stuff>:
JHU1r57.jpg

rrEkvj1.jpg

V2iTu3F.jpg

BtAD000.jpg

Last edited:
^^Excellents!!

Thanks, as I said, the best thing about it is that it's easy prep, application, and clean up...basically it's like painting or coloring like we all did in grade school...

you can do it with the handles mounted or removed.

Thanks, as I said, the best thing about it is that it's easy prep, application, and clean up...basically it's like painting or coloring like we all did in grade school...

you can do it with the handles mounted or removed.

Yeah, def takes some of the risk away vs having the whole tang and some of the blade submerged in the solution for a while. Appreciate the tip!

Ive done a few.. no risk just sit the tang up on a little wooden block or anything to keep it directly from contact with the hot pot bottom directly over the element.. not that im too concerned about messing with HT at that temp but good piece of mind. Never had an issue. Never had Rit brand bleed or stain clothing after either even in extreme wet and humid conditions

Ive always done water vinegar and rit mix

The bottle indicated something like salt for natural fibers and vinegar for synthetics. I skipped both this time, but may try one or the other if this job starts to fade or bleed. They seem to be good to go though.

I was real hesitant to wear light shirts with it on my hip at first lol. But its been through hell and never left a stain on my gear or hands for that matter. Bit of mineral oil and the colour really pops ! Those blades you did look awesome. Nice work :)

The only risky thing about it is getting caught using one of the womans pots.. the smell from the vinegar is hard to hide hahaha

The only risky thing about it is getting caught using one of the womans pots.. the smell from the vinegar is hard to hide hahaha

Lol! Know what you mean from another hobby...

Dove into making hot sauce last year and was subsequently banned from using the kitchen, and any of my wife’s pots, cutting boards, or kitchen knives for ANY “projects” going forward. (That shit was 🔥🔥🔥 btw, grew Chocolate Bhutlahs.)

At any rate, I have a bunch of my own kit and an electric hot plate stashed in the man cave now.

Back