1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River of Fire .... but not what you might think.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by d.r.h., Jan 9, 2018.

1. d.r.h.

d.r.h. Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Don't post much here anymore because .... well, my CRK collection has dwindled over the years from around 60 down to 2 (a Mnandi and a small Sebenza). The one CRK I always wanted to acquire was one of the River of Fire editions. My problem was that I just didn't like the Syringa wood used on them (now those few special one of a kinds are another story!!). But the Damascus was to die for. For those of you who like the River of Fire and have thought ... "boy I wish CRK would use it again on a special run" ... well, thought you might like this. I recently had a custom commissioned by my favorite knife maker ... Alan Davis. Asked him to see if he could get a billet of River of Fire for the knife. You may or may not know, but Bill Burke is no longer (as I understand it) making the Damascus. His son (under Bill's supervision) is doing the forging. Well, received my new knife yesterday and wanted to share with you the difference in the Damascus from what River of Fire used to look like ... and what it looks like now. Here are a couple pics to show you what River of Fire currently looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. gonebad395

gonebad395 Ironworker!

May 19, 2015
    That is a beautiful knife man really a piece of art. Thanks for sharing can’t stop looking at the pictures.:thumbsup:

3. --SG--

--SG-- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing. The River of Fire pattern is a bit different than Bill’s, but still gorgeous.

4. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Pretty cool! For comparison, here the Bill Burke version...

ROFtrilogy_Balcony1.jpg

5. d.r.h.

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks .... was hoping someone would post CRK pics .... didn't want to use pics that weren't mine.

Curl of the Burl likes this.
  6. SlammedM3

SlammedM3

Sep 28, 2014
    Wow! I haven’t posted much in here anymore either but that is stunning!

bhyde likes this.
  7. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Beautiful @d.r.h. ! Thank you for sharing!

Bill Burke lives right around 50 miles from me.. Have had the honor of talking to him a few times.
    Love seeing his work ( as well as his sons )

8. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    I wouldn't have cared if you did in this case. But now that I'm home, I can post better pics of the blades.

4Blades.jpg

4ROFs-3s.jpg

Large2Blade.jpg

MnandiBlade.jpg

SmallBlade2.jpg

warrenwrench and PNWhovian like this.
  9. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    That's the only thing I've considered GRAIL worthy.

mt666tm likes this.
  10. sn0wman72

sn0wman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Wow stunning Damascus patterns. Thx for sharing

11. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    Beautiful blades, it’s just amazing what can be done with Damascus.
    Those Sebenzas though...wow! Something about those blades almost feels ‘alive’.

Lone_Wolfe likes this.
  12. mt666tm

mt666tm

Nov 20, 2012
    Beautiful... the Alan Davis and the CRK's. Grail worthy is an understatement

13. ice_man

ice_man Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Hello Dennis, haven't posted here in awhile myself. Looks like your CRK collection really dwindled to 2 of your favorites. :)

I have to say, that custom by Alan is really stunning. I am glad you finally got yourself a ROF Damascus. Congratulations!

14. d.r.h.

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks all. As you can see, the pattern has changed somewhat over the years and is now more flowing and less compact. Regardless, a beautiful Damascus. If CRK were to consider, at some point, to do another special run using ROF .... it would still be a huge seller and future collector's "grail", IMO!!!

15. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Different pattern, but very nice!

16. James Longstreet

James Longstreet

May 1, 2014
    Beautiful! Thanks for showing. Both are great.