Photos RIXFORD

Rixford Awesomeness

Kentucky Rixford (unusual; straight but slightly wavy haft)
It is stashed deep in the basement so , sorry no current pics

20201021-202222.jpg

20201021-202233.jpg

20201021-202240.jpg

20201021-202248.jpg

20201021-202303.jpg

20201021-202334.jpg

R47 Rixford
Kentucky
3lbs / 6¾long / 4⅜bit

Now we are talking some good old new england secrets, hand shake deals and odd axe lore!

I do not have any information sadly to add.

I will say that perhaps over at Rixford they were not ready to let go and there was some leniency given for this period of time.
Was it one cantankerous office staffers paper work you got ahold of that was maybe related to family or top executives and untouchable?
Could it have been a leniency given between two top decison makers for ole time sake after they became incorporated and then ended when the agreement decided upon came to its end date.
Or, if the case was a verbal bond, what i would tend to think, is that one of the agreement makers ended their tenure and so ended the leniency of a verbal bond, old habits and traditions.

What if it was just one staffers denial of change? Good Old Puritan New England Fear of Change
All good guess! They may have held onto both names as not to let go of the reputation of the OS name. Or they didn't change the name on the bank account. It's weird though.

I'd go with 53. If it were 33 the typeface of "Rixford" would be different.

Great call Glenn.
I cant wait to see it C crbnSteeladdict

I may be biased, growing up and living here, but this Rixford mystery just seems so quintessential New England family run show thing to do. For whatever the reason...I hope we find out one day so we can get some rest lol!

Here's an O.S. Rixford broad hatchet, likely made from 1880-1896, hardened poll and all!

It’s in great condition. The stamps are crisp and the craftsmanship is…I have no words to describe all the subtleties in the craftsmanship. If I tried, I would sound stupid. I wish the pictures could do it justice.

fUTTHV7.jpg

GvkrhE3.jpg

hvhiS1H.jpg

LMixpQ8.jpg

NLbmw1q.jpg

WfNO8DB.jpg

sJTMzba.jpg

XK2l7l5.jpg

fXXHMEJ.jpg

KLuwF6V.jpg

kargLAS.jpg

I’m happy you started this thread Miller! I have a Rixford mystery and an axe to go with it.

The axe is a beautiful 3 ½ pound wedge pattern (with chips in the bit, but I don’t care too much about that). The two stamps are “Rixford Mfg...<fade>” and the weight, “3 ½”. What’s most remarkable to me about the weight stamp is that it’s on the poll. I’ve never seen another like it. In fact, I wondered if it was a fake for a while. Then one day I was flipping through the 1887 Rixford catalog, and surprise! The illustrations of the axes in the catalog have a weight draw on the poll. My first clue.

KoQwC4L.jpg

p74fxEj.jpg

hXRGpk0.jpg

oPdlxnz.jpg

yA4unqC.jpg

d7cWKTE.jpg

It got me wondering about the date of the axe. Here are the parts to the puzzle (and some very puzzling parts) I have so far.
  • While the company started in 1812, for this purpose, I’m really only interested in its life as an axe manufacturer, which started in 1880 in VT. At that time it was the O. S. Rixford Manufacturing Co. run by Oscar S. Rixford.

• In Tom Lamond’s book ‘Axe Manufacturers & Purveyors of Northern New England’, he states that in 1896 the name changed to Rixford Manufacturing Co.

• Then in 1900 the company was incorporated under the name Rixford Manufacturing Co, and Oscar H. Rixford became president.

• Finishing this thread, Oscar A. Rixford became president in 1926. Anything after this is irrelevant to this mystery.
I’ll also stick in here that the Thomas Register of American Manufacturers from 1905 gives the name Rixford Mfg co and the Hendricks' Commercial Register of the United States from 1916 gives the name Rixford Mfg co.

So based on the above, I would be dating this axe from 1896 to whenever they stopped stamping the poll with the weight. The 1923 Rixford catalog has illustrations of axes without weights on the poll, so I’ll put a pin on that date. So somewhere between 1896 and 1923. But there’s more.

A few years ago I spent some time digging through the Rixford Archives at the University of Vermont and took some pictures of documents I thought were interesting. Here is where things get puzzling.
  • A document dated ‘187_’ has the heading O.S. Rixford- makes sense

• Documents dated ‘1881’ has the heading O.S. Rixford- makes sense

• A document dated ‘1890’ has the heading O.S. Rixford- makes sense (also a pic having the weight poll stamp)

• A document dated ‘Nov 1900’ has the heading O.S. Rixford- this is 4 years after the changed to Rixford mfg co

• A document dated ‘May 1902’ has the heading O.S. Rixford- this is 6 years after the changed to Rixford Mfg co and two years after being incorporated!

• A document dated ‘Oct 30 1902’ has the heading Rixford Mfg co- OK, making sense again

• A document dated ‘Nov 1902’ has the heading Rixford Mfg co, but it’s crossed out to read O.S. Rixford, really messed up, right?!

• Documents dated up until ‘1907’ have the heading Rixford Mfg co, but it’s crossed out to read O.S. Rixford, 5 years after they started printing Rixford Mfg co, they are still crossing it out to read O.S. Rixford?!
So they were using O.S. Rixford stationary 6 years after the suggested change of names, finally printed Rixford Mfg co stationary in 1902, but crossed the name out to write O.S. Rixford for at least another 5 years. I don’t know what, if anything, the means regarding what they would have been stamping their axes with, but it’s hurting, not helping, me date my axe.

Does anyone have any information, specifically around this time period, that might help (OK, even if it hurts)?

dC4Wl3d.jpg

ruX7L2w.jpg

quyaN6v.jpg

Ku911AA.jpg

XOKrTIk.jpg

8Us0EpL.jpg

HNKaL0G.jpg

qhssMjr.jpg

flEG6rx.jpg

U6cCAIw.jpg
Os Rixford didn't die until 1911 it's very possible he wasn't keen on the new name and did some scribbling in defiance of the change.

There are some beautiful examples of rixfords in this thread.

I had a Rixford Michigan a couple years ago that had a deformed eye, so I sent it to I belive Miller '72 . I don't remember if he was able to salvage the axe or not.

🪓🪓

Rixford
R54
Hand Made
Connecticut
WPA stamped handle
(Works Progress Administration - 1935-1943)

20230709-202137.jpg

20230709-202143.jpg

20230709-202207.jpg

20230709-202200.jpg

20230709-202219.jpg

Cool story & history behind the love and work of this handle i am sure!!

🪓🪓

I tried really hard to make the 5 a 3 in the R54 date stamp. But either way, the story in that handle.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Back