RMJ Loggerhead

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
Howdy folks. I've admired these for a long time and now it looks like maybe I missed a recent run of Loggerheads from RMJ? I think I need to up my game on how to acquire one. Any specific places you guys watch? Any help getting me up to speed is appreciated.

Also, it looks like there are two sizes of the Loggerheads now. Which one do you prefer and why? Any other thoughts concerning their hawks is welcome as well. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I should probably also say that I've checked with Whitty to source one. Always enjoy dealing with him :thumbsup: But he checked for me and wasn't able to get one. I'm subscribed to the sales forum here on BF too, but it seems like I just keep missing the few that come up!!

Hey HK......long time no talk brother. Hope all is well.

I've got a handful of RMJ hawks and I've always talked to Ryan or Richard right there at their shop.

Give them a call......GREAT folks to work with!

Let me know how it turns out for you!

Hey HK......long time no talk brother. Hope all is well.

I've got a handful of RMJ hawks and I've always talked to Ryan or Richard right there at their shop.

Give them a call......GREAT folks to work with!

Let me know how it turns out for you!

Snakebreaker! Hi man. All is good here. Got a kid graduating from college next month, and while we're very proud of him, it is making me feel old ha ha! Hope all is good on your end too brother :)

I've still got my Kill Devil. Sold the Rattlehawk, that thing is a scary piece of equipment! The loggerheads just look like workers and you know how it is when you get something stuck in your head for too long.......got to scratch the itch :D

I hadn't considered calling them direct, guess I thought they worked through dealers. I will give them a shout. Thank you!

Hard Knocks Hard Knocks

I have a Loggerhead. I bought mine direct from them a few years ago. Knifecenter carries a lot of their products. The Loggerhead is a beast. I love mine. Chops well, smashed well, splits wood well. Its an all around good tool

Hard Knocks Hard Knocks

I have a Loggerhead. I bought mine direct from them a few years ago. Knifecenter carries a lot of their products. The Loggerhead is a beast. I love mine. Chops well, smashed well, splits wood well. Its an all around good tool

Hi Riz! When you bought yours was it listed as 'Loggerhead Shrike?' The ones I see now that look like yours seem to be listed as just 'RMJ Loggerhead.' Good to hear from you bud.

And it looks like they're making other models with the loggerhead. Snakebreaker pointed me towards the kestrel model that's got the hammer poll and it's available now, but in my mind I'm definitely wanting the Loggerhead Shrike.

Yep....really. I've got 4 of them and feel it's worth every penny. I'm ok with it......if your not, don't buy one.

What worries me is getting the first one, liking it, and snowballing from there. Hmmm....maybe I 'need' a regular shrike to go with the loggerhead. And probably a Jenny Wren......regular and hammer poll. Oh, and....... :D

Good for you. I can think of a lot of other toys I'd buy with the $1800 you have tied up in loggerheads. But to each their own.

Same. But when I look at said toys, being perfectly honest, I may realize I did not actually need them that much :).

Hi Riz! When you bought yours was it listed as 'Loggerhead Shrike?' The ones I see now that look like yours seem to be listed as just 'RMJ Loggerhead.' Good to hear from you bud.

It was called a “Loggerhead Shrike”. Here is a quick pic... sorry that my phone focused on the ground and not the hawk! Didnt notice until I posted it

2CF8A464-67A8-43BC-9B7E-307C663C3B19.jpeg

Hard Knocks Hard Knocks

I have also been eyeballing the Kestrel Trail model. I love the look of an Iroquois style tomahawk.

One thing I can say about the Loggerhead is this...

The regular Shrike/Kestrel/Kestrel Feather is more versatile. The spike may have been created as a weapon, but it is an excelent tool for digging/breaching, and a great picaroon for dragging logs. These things are so robust that if you needed to hammer with one, you just spin the handle 90 degrees in your hand and hammer with the “cheek”. You have a very large and flat surface to strike with. The hammer pole on the Loggerhead is actually too small to hammer nails, unless you are a skilled user. It does function well as an area to strike with a baton if you are trying to split wood that is very tough. The hammer on the loggerhead works well for breaking things, cracking walnuts or smashing bones or rocks. I love the way the Loggerhead looks and its very functional, but if I had to choos again, I probably would have gotten regular Shrike or a kestrel.

Now I do understand that the Loggerhead looks less weaponized and more friendly in appearance if you were to use it in a public area. Of you care about that, it may be another reason to consider the hammer over the spike.

Check the RMJ Merchant Trader group on Facebook. They did a small run this year after being discontinued for a couple years and I'd guess you'll have some trouble shaking one loose right now but you never know!

One thing I can say about the Loggerhead is this...

Riz! Riz! thanks for your thoughts brother. You've given me some stuff to think about for sure. I think the idea of the loggerhead has been in my mind long enough that I've got to start there, but I will file that away in the back of my mind. Solid arguments for the regular versions. Cheers.

Check the RMJ Merchant Trader group on Facebook. They did a small run this year after being discontinued for a couple years and I'd guess you'll have some trouble shaking one loose right now but you never know!

Thanks Burke. I'll see if I can get Mrs. HK to keep an eye on that. I'll say one thing....it sure doesn't seem like people like to let these go. Especially the full-size ones. Thanks for the lead!

Back