Rob Chriswell sword tactical katana

anyone have an opinion of the value of a Rob Criswell sword (tactical katana)?
It is made of A2 tool steel differentially vacuum heat treated with a 60-61 RC edge and 56-58 RC Spine.

He had worked at Benchmade so I guess that's where he learned his skills. Reviews all seem to be positive about his workmanship and swords. I can attest that it is a 'perfectly' gorgeous sword of impeccable workmanship. about a 27 inch blade with about a .75 inch curve. New condition.

how about just an opinion - likes and dislikes, experience handling and or cutting?
Yeah, certainly no problem with that. JParanee JParanee may have experience, that is his bailiwick. I haven't seen much from Rob Criswell lately and don't know if he is still actively making swords.

I've handled a few they are nice for what they are, i.e. his take on the tactana. The earlier ones had a ring at the end of the handle. I don't think they are all that valuable as I recall someone was trying to sell s set of them in the exchange not all that long ago. You might try searching for the listing.

Hawthorne Cutlery guy in Portland has had a few maybe a decade or more. He's always up for a chat.

I've owned several of Rob's swords. They are nicely made. Fit and finish on them were top notch. And given the construction, materials used, and Rob's quality workmanship... I imagine they are nearly indestructible. However... none of them cut very well. The blade geometry was more like a large knife than a sword. Like... take a Cold Steel Tanto... now make it 27". Now... I could get them hair popping sharp... and I certainly wouldn't want to be on the business end of one. Still own one of his Tantos and love it. So don't take that as a knock on them.

Back