Rocker rivet on 501

I recently acquired 3 Buck Model 501s all having the Old English type tang stamp and dark burgundy micarta inlays. One of the knives has a stainless rocker rivet and 2 inlay rivets. The other two only have the 2 inlay rivets and no visible rocker rivet. Can anyone tell me what years these knives may have been manufactured. I am particularly interested in the 501 with the rocker rivet. I have never seen another one and the new ones with the wood inlays only have two inlay rivets. Thanks for any information you can share.

Johnny, The 501 Esquire, later Squire was first mentioned at Buck in 1978, mostly drawings and such. The first knives came thru the factory in late 1979 with an exposed rocker rivet. In 1980 that was hidden and only the two inlay rivets show.It has polished bolsters and lock bar w/ a mirror polished 440C blade and burgandy slabs. Quite a striking package. Good purchase. DM

David, the 501s were actually first shipped to dealers in February of 1975 according to Joe Houser's research of Buck archives. The first Buck Catalog brochure I have seen featuring the 501 was dated May 1975. I am not positive, but it seems that the rocker rivet was hidden sometime around 1977. I did not look up the particulars, but I wonder if you confused the dates of introduction for the model 703 Colt with the 501 Esquire?

Larry, Your correct. After going back to read it--. The blue prints were 73, knives 75, pin hid in 77. Thanks DM

Back