Rod Chappel Passes

TAH

Gold Member
According to Andrew at Seattle Cutlery, I regret to inform you that Rod Chappel passed away sometime during the week of February 5, 2017. I believe he was around 81 years old. For 40 years, Rod was an extraordinary designer and craftsman of distinctive custom knives. He was mostly known for high-end art knives with beautiful flowing curves and pleasing proportions, but he also made smaller functional knives. Regardless, his contribution and creativity will be greatly missed in custom knife world. If anyone has more information on his passing, I’m sure it would be appreciated by his fans.

If interested, click here for an excellent thread on this iconic knifemaker. You can also see more of his work here.

full.jpg

That sucks,

His blades were amazing

It never gets easier hearing about these talented people passing. Prayers sent for his family and friends.

This is really sad news. My deepest condolences to his family if they are reading this.

I enjoyed our conversations immensely, Rod lived quite a life. An educated man, an incredible knifemaker ... he will be missed.

I credit the few times I hung out with Rod in his Arlington shop with my passion for knives. Designing the "Kodiak Hunter" together was an amazing opportunity to see a great artist and designer at work. Watching him grind (from a safe distance) was an experience I shant soon forget! I really liked this man, and will miss him.

Mr.Chappel was an artist of the highest order, and a trend-setter.

Rod was one of the greats, and we both benefited in many ways from a long time mutual association.

On the link that TAH posted, when I saw him two years ago, he was "tired".

Rod didn't have much family left, but to those he left behind, condolences and smoke sent.

One gets to the point in life when they deserve the right to rest.

G_dspeed, amigo....hope to see you again, where and when you are feeling strong and robust!

Best Regards,

Steven Garsson

Just received an e-mail asking me to post this, if anyone would like to talk to Rod's son about his father ... look him up on Facebook: Bradley Chappel

I believe Bradley lives in Hawaii.

I met Rod while in Las Vegas with our friend Jody Samson, neither had seen each other in years.....God Rest them both....RIP. [emoji17][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Andrew at Seattle Cutlery, I regret to inform you that Rod Chappel passed away sometime during the week of February 5, 2017. I believe he was around 81 years old. For 40 years, Rod was an extraordinary designer and craftsman of distinctive custom knives. He was mostly known for high-end art knives with beautiful flowing curves and pleasing proportions, but he also made smaller functional knives. Regardless, his contribution and creativity will be greatly missed in custom knife world. If anyone has more information on his passing, I’m sure it would be appreciated by his fans.

If interested, click here for an excellent thread on this iconic knifemaker. You can also see more of his work here.

full.jpg
I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I designed a knife with his son and would like to know if anyone else has one like it? It's called "Wapiti"
I'm having some difficulty getting a pic of it up here but I'll keep trying.
It has two finger grooves in the handle. One at the front and one at the back of the handle.

Never met or spoke with him, but I have admired his knives for a long time and still look to add "the right one" to my collection.

RIP.

This news saddens me in ways words cannot describe....a longtime friend of mine (who also has passed) was the proud owner of many of Rod's knives. I personally held three or four of his wonderful creations in my hands and dreamed to one day be privileged enough to meet the man....sadly I now will not get that chance, at least not in this world. RIP Mr Chappel....you were one of a kind and you will be greatly missed by all of your many fans.

Back