Ron Hood- Hoodlum, Thug and Punk

Makael

Books temporarily closed on sheath orders.
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
20160322_192219_zpsmhwr03ln.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160322_191737_zpsrjvwxru1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160322_191702_zpsftficls3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160322_191745_zps3znm8dv1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160322_191753_zpsvafyj78p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160322_191807_zpsmw4szmsz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cool knives, get them while you can. Discontinued.

Makael

It took me awhile to warm up to the line. Once I found out they were being discontinued I thought to buy the set and store them. They are nicely built. Good steel, comfy handles.

BuckShack

Gold Member
The Hoodlum was my knife of choice in a survival poll here a while back. I still stand by that, go BIG!

These knives have good steel, blade coating and handles. The "street" names turned me off at first, but what's a name. Ron Hood was respected (RIP), who am I to question.

All that and I don't own any of them. I better hurry up. I think I'll start with the Punk, then the Hoodlum, then the Thug. Makael, I was going to bet you bought all three at the same time.

Makael

I bought the Thug a couple months ago. The Punk yesterday and Hoodlum today. I hate seeing good knives be discontinued.
I made a sheath for the Thug and will make them for the other two. The blade shape is fun..
1450115587082_6206329139_d5a5a478_zps1j5wp2sc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG].

Last edited:
I've never done any leather work, but those stitches are as good as I've seen.
I have a Kydex sheath for my Hoodlum user that works nicely.

The name of the original knife in the series, The Hoodlum, was a play on Ron Hood's name.
Names don't always work...my 7th grade math teacher's name was Harry Butts.
I hitched into Bland, VA while hiking the Appalachian Trail and there was a large factory that had been long closed. I always thought they made a poor choice on their product name..."Bland Sportswear".

That is a nice set of knives. I too was not impressed with the name until I learned why they were called what they were.
Speaking of names we have a teacher in HS with the name Plucker. She has kids at the school and of course the kids call her Mother Plucker. True story and she laughs about it.

BuckShack

Gold Member
Hood = Hoodlum. Starring me right in the face and didn't see it. How about that. :eek:

Thug and Punk are just a continuation of the series and not family member names, right?

Makael

Reaper is staying.

I have a punk and reaper at the moment. Had a few punks before and liked them but sold for some reason. Think it was the steel. I'm going to use this other punk and the reaper for good while so can give both a fair shake. Hate the names and sheaths. Blades are very comfy and ergonomic themselves though.

I wanted to get a Hoodlum a long time ago. I have seen at least 3 break where the notch is on the spine, so that kinda killed it for me getting one. Sure it's not a bad blade though, and sure if did break it Buck would try to make right somehow.

The Reaper is gonna accompany me river fishing alot this year I think. The skulls are either getting sanded off, or paracorded over or making some new scales for them.

Reaper seems like a descent cheap knife. I have next to no experience with Bucks 420 so wanting to see how holds up.

Well see.

Anyone know why Buck decided to discontinue them. Easy answer I guess is sales figures. Beckers and Esse's sell very well. Don't know why these didn't catch on. I have the punk and thug. Really like the punk the best. I like Buck's camp knife, it's no Esse but I like it. Wish they'd do it in a color besides orange tho'.