Ron Hood - memorial

Howard Wallace

I just found out my friend Ron Hood passed away in his sleep night before last. Survival instructor, vet, video producer, knife designer, family man … , it was a little hard to pin him down. I’ve written here in the HI forum before about bringing khukuris to his gatherings.

He was familiar with the khukuri design and its advantages. As an instructor he was also a little leary of the design, as he had seen western students unfamiliar with khukuris mess up and hurt themselves. As have many, hence our famous safety thread here at the HI forum. I daresay the khukuri had some influence on his latest work, the Hoodlum blade that is currently marketed by Buck. That was a large knife like he liked, but incorporating a forward cant to the blade, and a special tang designed to minimize shock when chopping.

If you look carefully in some of his videos you’ll see a large Ganga Ram khukuri hanging on his wall.

A good man walked west. He leaves behind his wife Karen and a young son, Jesse.

Another good man walks west.....
RIP Mr. Hood, and condolences to all his family and many friends.

What a loss. It's obvious to anyone near a knife or outdoors forum just how much he was loved and admired. God be with his family. Smoke up from Texas.

This was a real shock to me. They'd been trying to be upbeat about it, and I had the impression that he was doing better, and then. . .

RIP Ron.

I'm going to be honest, as I almost always try to do. I do not have a clue as to who this dude was. Having said that, I nonetheless respect your decision to mourn him, as well as your reasons to mourn him, and I thereby, join in. He sounded like a good dude, and that alone is reason enough to weep at his passing. Too many good people pass us by, to be replaced by too many evil aberrations, sometimes I believe the world is falling into the hands of extremists and radicals, insanity and self gratifying malice, and then I come back here, and see that, here be my heart, and here be my soul, and none shall corrupt it. Rest in Peace, Ron Hood, and, if there are any gods out there (I may doubt the existence of deities, but that does not mean, in my heart of hearts, that I do not hope they are real), then treat him and his family with equality and eternal life. May peace and contentment reign on Earth.
David

Back