Rookie question about 110 rivets.

Judging by the difficulty of removing the "heads" of the rivets on the model 560, I would guess that they are a 400 series stainless steel.

O.K.. I just got done talking to Leroy and he said that most of the time they are stainless, but sometimes they are NS. The Bucklites are NS he said. So I guess most of the time, my answer was wrong.:eek: But occasionally it was right.;)

Eric

O.K.. I just got done talking to Leroy and he said that most of the time they are stainless, but sometimes they are NS. The Bucklites are NS he said. So I guess most of the time, my answer was wrong.:eek: But occasionally it was right.;)

Eric

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :) Thanks for checking that out for us Eric. :thumbup:

Hi Guys, the rocker pin is indeed stainless steel. It is 300 series stainless (302/304 I believe) which is an austenitic stainless (or nickel/chromium stainless) which cannot be hardened by heat treating. But, it is more corosion resistant than 400 series stainless (martensitic stainless) which is used for knife blades (420HC for exmple). 300 series stainless can be hardened by working it (bending, drawing, etc), and when in rivet form is probably 1/4 hard. Even though it is not as hard as heat treated 400 series stainless, it is still quite strong and provides good wear resitance.
300 series stainles (varying grades) is what is used in the aircraft and marine industry becasue of its corrosion resistance and good strength while being "formable" (is that a word?).
That combination (good strength, wear resistance and formable) is why we use it for the rocker pin. If we tried to form the head of the rocker pin on a heat treated rivet, it wouldn't work. We would not get the head shaped and would likely chip/crack the rivet if anything.
The hidden rivets on the knives where there is no visible rocker rivet (pin) are stainless also. The are a semi-tubular rivet that has the end flaired to fill a counter sink that is in the metal sides. This is also what we use on the 500 series (501, 503, 505, etc) knives for the rocker rivet.
Oh, and 300 series is generally non-magnetic. Some parts after work hardening will exhibit some magnatism, but it is usualy not significant. So a magnet won't work on it.
Hope that helps.

Bill Keys
Director of Manufacturing and Engineering
Buck Knives, Inc

The 560 rivets I was having trouble drilling the heads off from were probably work hardened 300 series stainless. The head spinning process probably boosts the hardness a few notches. I had to use a Firex spotting drill to "make a dent" in the rivets.

Back