Rookie wet forming question

be careful with acetone, not only is it nasty stuff, its real hard on the leather. Its solvent action will leech any and all oils out in a heartbeat. You will end up with a husk that looks like regular leather but is dry as a mummy. For my work I want as much in the way of natural in the leathe as possible, I want it to last.

Compared to many here I am a rookie too, but I have been messing around with leather off and on for about 50 years. One trick I have used (and I am sure that there is something wrong with this, altho I don't know what) is to wet the leather with rubbing alcohol. It softens the leather instantly, and dries rapidly. Also, no rust problems with the blade/gun/whatever...

I have tried that also using denatured alcohol but if I immerse the leather it begins to look like it was boiled. The edges really harden and it darkens. Would rubbing alcohol work better for forming and cleaning than the denatured variety?

Maybe someone has mentioned it but be sure to trim fingernails way down if using fingers at all to shape. The fingernails dig in really well on cased leather!

Same warning with alcohol, its basically a solvent and will leech the oils right out of the leather, thats the reason you see the hardened and darkened edges. If flexed it will easily crack.

reidracer---------If you are making 200+ sheaths a week you could hardly be referred to as a custom maker. Could we know more about you, your business, photos of your work and contact information?

"The few customs I build may be wet formed and that's where I spend the time following the process I explained. "

Maybe you should read his post again before you call him out...

He explains the customs he's building are few, main thing is producing without wetforming. I would say he's HARDLY a custom maker too..

"Could we know more about you, your business, photos of your work and contact information?"

What is wrong with this?????
Can't he speak for himself?

;)

"The few customs I build may be wet formed and that's where I spend the time following the process I explained. "

Choose your words carefully, Sandy is one of the most respected leather crafters out there. I personally think his question is warranted.

Rayban, I really was not aware that I was harming the man or his reputation by asking who he is, where he operates,etc. Could be I am looking for a kindred spirit and not an antagonist. I know your moderation of my statement and question was well intended and I will not question your right to do so, just hope it doesn't become a habit--haha------------Sandy

...some interesting reading in some of the Visitor Messages
this will have to be moved to W/C before long :)

Just an after thought, I don't see that asking for info on anyone is wrong if he doesn't want to give it up in their profiles..
what do you guys think?
I'd like to see everyone made to put out all their true Business info in the BFC profile before they can even hint on selling on BFC..
but still it can be doctored up :rolleyes:
normally there should be no reasons to hide that information anyway.

Are you hiding :p

This will eat at the minds that have a problem with it I'm sure.. :D
psych 101 :D

I'll go along with derailing the thread for a post since the OP question has been answered.
Just an after thought, I don't see that asking for info on anyone is wrong if he doesn't want to give it up in their profiles..
what do you guys think?
:D
It shouldn't be a problem to ask for info if it is germane to the topic and not presented purely as a challenge.
I'd like to see everyone made to put out all their true Business info in the BFC profile before they can even hint on selling on BFC..:D
Offering business info by makers (as opposed to "for sale by individual") should not be a problem. Chances are, however, that a bad guy is going to be a bad guy whether info is posted or not.

This seems to have come up due to some of the posts by "reidracer" and I guess since 200+ sheaths per day have been mentioned, the authenticity of the statement could be questioned. That and the question that will make for an interesting thread someday soon, "what's better, leather or kydex, have raised curiosity.

My take on it is "reidracer" offered what seemed to be good information in a few posts, a credible opinion but an opinion none the less about kydex, and no preference for one or the other. It's the curiosity about qualifying background that raises the questions.

Something may be going on between the lines I am not aware of but it seems to me, taken at his word, reidracer is actually someone known to some of you. He/She probably works for or operates a commercial knife or sheath making concern and is enjoying the anonymous role for now. Heck he might even live in or work with folks in Michigan.

I've wanted to use this line from Louis Black so nows my chance..."psych 101" I could tell you about psych 101 because I took that class...but I flunked it.

Something may be going on between the lines I am not aware of

LOL, ok very funny guys, jokes on me I realize since I just happened to make a monthly visit elsewhere! :D

I have been planning on making a couple of drop loops so I wouldn't have to keep sewing dangler sheaths. If anyone comes up with an outstanding design I might be inclined to purchase them if I don't have to wait too long....

You quoted yourself! :D

Joke must be on me as well, 'cause I have no idea whats going on between the lines. I have my suspicions, but still clueless and wondering who, what, when, and what the .... ! :p

I make 200 + sheaths a week and .

This seems to have come up due to some of the posts by "reidracer" and I guess since 200+ sheaths per day have been mentioned,

correction if you please , he said 200 a week.. :)

with a clicker and a good electric sewing machine , sure it's possible ,, but in turn more importantly, you need the sales for them or your sheath collection will become a very big one shortly..

I don't question it possible at all.. that many if being made personally a week would sure bore the hell out of me though.. but to each his own and his own niche.. I do wonder if he has help or not though? you hear of engineers building buildings and Bridges all the time but never laying a hand on them..

I still say Kydex will brake, I've seen it happen, the guys then ask me for leather :D keep in mind I do believe and have said each has it's own place... :)

most of my sheaths sale of other makers knives, are because the customer doesn't like the Kydex ,,, and the push on leather is because there are more knife makers that can make Kydex sheaths than ones that can make leather sheaths, that I think is more than My Opinion but I could always be wrong about that .. :)

making Kydex sheaths is a no brainier tool wise or other wise , it's cheap and easy.. but personally when all is said and done
I like leather much better for many more positive points
I guess that makes me pro leather

My 2 cts

I choose quality over quantity anytime..
:thumbup:

I simply refuse to believe that there is only 1 recepie for wetforming leather. What do you want to achieve, and what should be the properties of the sheath?

I am not that experienced, but experienced enough to know that each individuel piece of leather is slightly different then the next one, and therefore needs a slightly different treatment. that can be the temperature of the water, the soaking time needed to make it workable, the way you dry it back to normal..etc.

Let it dry slowly, and it will be softer and more supple, let it dry quicker, and it will be harder etc.

Or the same piece of leather, made to 2 sheaths, for the same knife, but with different properties. 1 should be stiffer then the other...

The same pattern could result in the same sheath, made of the 'same' type of leather, and still have a completely different feel to it. It's custom made according to the wishes of the specific user, for a specific blade..

If I am wrong, could someone please define 'custom' again?

:confused:

My 2 cts

I simply refuse to believe that there is only 1 recepie for wetforming leather. What do you want to achieve, and what should be the properties of the sheath?

I am not that experienced, but experienced enough to know that each individuel piece of leather is slightly different then the next one, and therefore needs a slightly different treatment. that can be the temperature of the water, the soaking time needed to make it workable, the way you dry it back to normal..etc.

that's why I mentioned, I let the feel of the leather tell me when it's ready to work.

the human hands are the most versatile sensitive tools on earth :)

If that IS him, I do have some of his sheaths. They come with some Barkies, and they are about as good as they get, for that kind of production sheath. They can very easily be wetmolded and waxed, and will look and feel almost custom then..

Back