Rosarms Companion 2 vs CRKT Signature Series (Pic heavy)

Hi everyone,

I posted this thread in the review section but I thought I would do a copy/paste here.

I got my Companion 2 this past friday so I figured I'd do a little review :)

I've had my CRKT "Kaiyuh" for almost 2 years now and I love it. It's a great blade for field dressing deer but a little clumsy for other chores, which is alright because I only use it for deer anyways and it is a hunting knife. The clip point is nice too.

The C2 is also very nice, I obviously haven't had time to try it out. But the aesthetics of it are very nice, beyond anything I had seen (in my hands) before. I think the major difference in the 2 is the feel. The C2 feels "warm" in the hand. It really marked me. The drop point is nice on the C2.

c2001qu9.jpg

Both edges are very sharp, the only difference is the CRKT field dressed 3 deer last year and it's still super sharp.

c2002lh7.jpg

c2003oa5.jpg

c2004xr7.jpg

On the pic just over and under this text, you can see the sheaths pretty well. They are both great sheaths, the Rosarms leather is nicer but it has 1 inconvenient, the belt loop is riveted on and you can see the rivets from inside the sheath. I am a little bit afraid to damage the wood of the handle by carrying it in the sheath. That's the only downside of the C2.
c2005rc4.jpg

c2006su7.jpg

The knives are practically the same lenght, 1/4 inch longer for the C2. Blades are both 3.5".

c2008fj8.jpg

The wood from the CRKT is some sort of mystery wood, it looks sort of like bamboo and looks like it would "peel" if you stuck your nail in it. I'm guessing it's the cheapest "exotic wood" CRKT could find. For the C2, brown micarta, followed by stacked birch bark, then the birch burl... amazing.

I also took a magnet to both, and it stuck on both... a friend once told me "if the stainless is very good quality, magnets wont stick to it." True or false?

Overall I think the C2 is far superior when it comes to handling and comfort. Don't be fooled though, the CRKT is a VERY capable hunting knife, I just hope the C2 will be as good in the field, as it feels in my hands. :D

Now I really need a good sharpening system :)

Cheers,

great to see you over hear Furync! I am hoping this forum will start to pick up some more traffic to go with the cool knives. You sure took some good photos.

Magnets don't stick to very low low quality stainless, like 300 series.
Sorry to break this to you Furync but your friend is an idiot. :p

No problem, them magnet test is pretty good it you want to test if a knife is a ripoff of the real deal.

Magnets don't stick to very low low quality stainless, like 300 series.
Sorry to break this to you Furync but your friend is an idiot. :p

yes, magnet test is good for stainless screws only :)

I did a Stainless steel test before there is a link to the post:

what makes 'stainless steel' work well for knives is a high carbon content, and I might be wrong, but I believe magnets are also fond of carbon:)

Back