Rosarms Companion2 versus Chris Reeve Inyoni

My Rosarms knives came today including a Companion 2 and 3 as well as a Baby ,a Fox2 and a Fry2. The fit and finish is fantastic and mine don't have any issues like the ones mentioned by the thread starter. My bevels on all 5 knives are excellent and all the knives except the FRY2 are at least 3mm thich and some like the Baby are substantially more although not over thick like many US made knives. Personally I hate how some knives are a 1/4 inch thick and so obtuse they can't cut. The thickness on the Rosarms knives is excellent much like Spyderco in having excellent edge geometry rather than trying to be a crowbar.

If you are into Scandis I would definitly recommend the Companion2 with birch nodule handle. Mine is strikingly beautiful and the fit and finish is up there with some of the best US made production knives. I still have to do some in depth edge testing but I will and I will let you all know how she does. Here is a photo of my new Companion2 with my Chris Reeve Inyoni.

The fit and finish is equal although the Inyoni is a rather simple design and might not be the best choice to show off CR's legendary attention to detail.
The handle on the Companion2 is much nicer both in comfort and looks to the
Inyoni handle and the blade on the Inyoni is a bit thinner. I prefer the unserrated edge on the Companion although if the Inyoni came in unserrated it would be much closer. That is more about my preference than a quality difference when it comes to these blades. The knives are almost identical in size and blade shape so make a great pair for comparison.

The sheath on the Chris Reeve is much nicer though. The Companion sheath is OK and certainly suits a skandi style knife.

Here is a photo where I try to show some handle detail.

The birchnodule is very very nice and is certainly more comfortable than the cocobolo on the Inyoni. I also much prefer the mirror/satin finish of the Companion to the stonewash finish on the Inyoni although I would guess that the stonewash is less maintenance.

I will am looking forward to putting the S30V steel of the Inyoni against the
110X18 Russian steel in a cutting test. If the 110X18 is not got a great heat treat as well as exotic alloys it wont stand a chance against the CR.

I will let you know how the testing goes.

So far it is
Looks, both handle material and blade finish the winner is the Companion2
Beating a CR in the fit and finish department is high praise indeed. I know some CR fans may find this hard to believe but since the Companion2 is only a 70$ knife they can find out for themselves.:D

Sheath ,Chris Reeve has by far one of the best production knife sheaths on the market.

Ergonomics and blade shape ,the Companion 2 for a more comfortable handle although I docked the Inyoni for the serrations which is more a matter of preference.

I am very happy especially with the C2 with the beautiful birchnodule handle. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a Skandi style knife assuming the edge tests go as well.

Unsub

the companion 2 is one of my favorite Rosarms knives. It lives in the kitchen and is used daily, often left submerged in the sink, or with veggie leavings on the blade. It has yet to show any signs of corrosion. It is also a dream to sharpen, and holds its edge. The mirror finish is probably a little more hygienic.
A tumbled finish S30V blade I bet would not resist corrosion near as well, although I do love that brand of steel.

Sorry someone wanted the C2 to much so i am going to get a few for gifts and buddies with the same burl. If the sheath is as nice as the ones for the Baby and the Fox2 sheaths I will be really impressed.

Unsub,
I just went looking for some info on the companion, and what do I find? :)
I find the Reeve's shines best, to me, as a non-folding pocket knife. That is actually where it is right now.
I used the Ros to cut up some twigs this morning (they were attacking me).
I think it is going to make an excellent little bush knife. It is light-weight, and the size is about perfect.
The handle is really nice looking. Nikki keeps on hinting that she may take this one away from me.

Yep I sent both those knives to Roo. I wish i could have got you one with the coloured handles but that is one thing with natural material it is not consistent. Yours does have one of the nicer new sheaths though. Actually the one in the photo was stolen by the evil crazy mayor of Toronto.

Unsub,
The handle on mine is perfect. Nikki is so numb to knives at this point, for her to take notice of one is a major event.
She liked the sheath, the blade design, and most of all the handle.

Today, the companion was used to cut pizza, stir chocolate milk, and to open a package from Unsub!

It came through this ordeal with flying colors.

Back