RosArms Zlatoust Russian Knives Comparison of the Taiga and Chieftain

Does anyone have any experience using the RosArms Zlatoust Russian Knives - the Taiga and the Chieftain with aluminum gaurd and hilt? I currently own a Rescuer and I'm really interested in the Taiga and the Chieftain knives made from the Zlatousk Forge. How to they compare side by side in a survival or camping situation as a all around tool. What are the Pro's and Con's? Does one knife have more heft than the other? At the widest point what is the height of each blade? Is the blade steel 110X18 used in each knife? What is the cutting edge angle on each knife? Do they both hold an edge well? One more question. Has anyone used the Zlatoust Baby? It looks like a small machete. Thanks for taking the time to anwers my questions. :eek:range:

Thank you for your interest! I will try to answer some of your questions:

1. I'm selling these knives but for my personal use I have TAIGA model.
2. For camping/survival situation and all-around tool I would recommend TAIGA. Chieftain has large curved blade but my personal preference - drop point style blade. Chieftain a little too long to my taste.
3. Both models are made of 110x18 steel
4. Both knives are sharpened with 30 angle for harder objects. Perfect for chopping wood :) Edge retention is very good on both models.
5. About BABY model - the most popular camping/ survival knife we have. 100s of users all over the world. Yes it is a mini-machete.
6. I will post some comparison pictures later. I hope it will help you to make a decision.

Thanks for answering my questions. I really like both knives - the Taiga and the Chieftain. I wish I could hold each of them in my hand. I believe that would definitely help my decision on which one to buy. I'm like you when it comes to drop point style blades. I also like the slant guard on the Taiga as well. I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Taiga. I'm looking forward to seeing your comparison pictures. I'd like to sell my Rescuer. I have never used it. It looks brand new. If I sold that I could probably buy the Baby too. Know anyone who would like to buy a Rescuer knife? Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for your interest! I will try to answer some of your questions:

1. I'm selling these knives but for my personal use I have TAIGA model.
2. For camping/survival situation and all-around tool I would recommend TAIGA. Chieftain has large curved blade but my personal preference - drop point style blade. Chieftain a little too long to my taste.
3. Both models are made of 110x18 steel
4. Both knives are sharpened with 30 angle for harder objects. Perfect for chopping wood :) Edge retention is very good on both models.
5. About BABY model - the most popular camping/ survival knife we have. 100s of users all over the world. Yes it is a mini-machete.
6. I will post some comparison pictures later. I hope it will help you to make a decision.

Try Ebay for Recuer. I will keep an eye on requests for this model.

Where are you located? You can order both and return one you don't like.

sorry for a delay with pictures. Will do this weekend.

There are a few pictures of Rosarms Taiga and Rosarms Chieftain for comparison. I hope it will help yu to make a decision...

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0424.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

Thanks for the pic's. I really appreciate that. I would have replied sooner but I was out of town and didn't have access to the internet. I like the size and shape of Taiga. How does the Baby compare to the Taiga. Do you have any pictures showing those two knives together? Thanks.

Back