Roselli knives

I recently brought a Roselli Leuku from Kellam knives. Love the look and feel of the knife. However, Roselli's have a black unfinished surface to it. I noticed that in the black forged surface there are areas of brown or "rust" colored areas also. Has anyone else noticed this on their Roselli's and is this surface rust??? This is a brand new knife and I'm hoping this is just discoloration from the forging process. Can anyone tell me what the brown color is???
THANKS. :confused:

I have two Roselli puukkos myself and the both came with the brown spots you described. I've cleaned them thoroughly and I think it's just discolouration.

About Roselli puukko (or leuku) overall:
Steel used is carbon steel - and it will rust if it isn't taken care of.

I don't know the consistency of the steel - Roselli's pages (http://www.roselli.fi/1/index-fin.html) don't tell anything about it.

Anyway, there are instructions how to take care of the blade (straight copy-paste):

1.Clean and dry the knife after use. A light coat of oil can be put on the blade periodically (e.g. parafin oil).

2.Never keep your knife in a moist sheath.

3.Keep your knife sharp at all times. Then it is safe, easy and ready to use when you need it.

4.Never treat the knife as a toy.

5.Never leave the knife out of the sheath when not in use.

6.Never let children handle the knife without guidance.

I've got Roselli Carpenter - and it is a heavy user. My favourite puukko.

I also have a Roselli Capenter puukko. It holds a great edge and is very comfortable in the hand. I have the standard carbon steel version. Roselli has a higher grade UHC version, but I haven't owned one. I checked mine to see if it had the brown color mentioned above and I noticed that my model does as well.

I just sent an email to Roselli to ask if it is a normal part of the forging process of it's just plain rust, so I'll post a reply as soon as I get an answer.

I was looking through a copy of the September 2002 issue of Tactical Knives and there was a review of some Roselli blades. The article says that Heimo Roselli's carbon blades are forged from W75 High Carbon Steel manufactured by Krupp at an RC of 59-62 (page 38).

The UHC version of the Carpenter model's RC is at 64-66! :eek:

El Cid, Tuhkis, Lobo, thanks for the feedback! Lobo, let us know what you find out from Roselli....
Don't you think that the convex edge on Roselli's cut better than most knives??? I'm really impressed with the cutting efficiency of the Roselli's.

Reactions: vba
I agree, they're great cutters. Roselli knives do come very sharp, but because they have a slight secondary bevel, they're not as razor sharp as other Nordic knives with the typical Scandinavian grind. Still, the Roselli Carpenter is built for use and remains one of my favorite Nordic knives. I'm now considering the purchase of a UHC version of the Carpenter myself.

Check out this review of the Roselli Carpenter UHC.

http://outdoors.free.fr/s_article.php?id_article=8

Condition Black, I received a response regarding the brown spots.

From my email received:

"Thank You for your message, it´s quite difficult to say what those spots are without seeing knives. But it´s seems to be normal colouring after the tempering. The normal colours are black, blue, gray and brown and all variations of these colours."
Best Regards, Kari Loippo, Roselli Oy

Just got back from a business trip and my Roselli UHC (Ultra High Carbon) Carpenter knife was waiting for me. Looks like a keeper, the blade is finer finished than the standart Carpenter and is definitely sharp. Sheath is leather with a plastic liner and is very user friendly, no straps to fool with. UHC steel is reported to be 1.5-2.0% carbon, with a HRC of 64-66, haven't had a chance to cut anything but paper yet but the standard Carpenter has worked well for me. Got mine from the Nichols Company in Vermont.

Just wanted to show off a few of my Scandinavians.

192239-Scandinavians%202.jpg

From Norway:
Helle Nying
Brusletto Profileringskniv
From Sweden:
Karesuando Haren
Eriksson Mora # 22
From Finland:
Marttiini Lynx # 121
Roselli Carpenter

Hi,

Rust or discoloration will eventually show.

The Roselli are carbon blades, so they will eventually rust or discolor. I own a Carpenter UHC, and it is an excellent blade, with a very high cutting power. To improve it, I brought the bevel to a true nordic edge (only one bevel), it is now very very sharp, and an excellent cutter.

The blade eventually discolors or rusts, it needs to be water cleaned and wiped dry after each use. Oiling is only useful when storing blades a long time (or real wet places).

While rust just gives way to more rust and pitting, dark stains and colorations actually are a good protection against rust.

The rust I scrape with a commercial dishes scraping pad, but take care to leave the underlaying darkening, as it protects from further rust. if the layer/ pitting is advanced, I clean with a metal loaded gum.

Another good treatment against rust, is to buy some gun blue, dilute it at least 1 to 5 in water, and apply it on the blade (after removing oil traces with aceton) (need to do some tries first).

Some also do stain their blades using lemon or oignon juice (let it dry), or sticking them in an aubergine (egg-plant). Oignon juice was traditionally used to reveal wootz patterns on swords, so it might be actual for this knife. You will hardly get an uniform stain this way, but what's the point.

The Roselli Leuko I have been interested in for some time now, Would you mind telling how you find it ?

Lobo, I am sure you will enjoy the UHC version, a real good work tool!

Reactions: vba
Great pic, Lobo Solitario!

The Roselli Carpenter knife is pretty cool. It ain't fancy, but it sure does work! The handle in particular is the part that I really like; it's very versatile and comfortable.

I just ground off the blackened layer on the flats of my knife, making the blade uniformly silver and shiny. It doesn't have that neat forged look, but you don't have to worry that rust may be forming in the darkened areas, where it could be hard to spot.

Singularity, I bought the Leuku from Kellamknives.com. They are nice people to deal with and very fast service....
You have some good observations about the nature of carbon steel and the protective nature of discoloration and stains. Thanks.

Thanks Condition Black, about the Leuko, I meant about how to do find using it ? (must be my traduction skills, again :) )

Being a Euro, I get European productions by more direct means ;)

About carbon, it is just that I found I do not have the will to worry about anything in life :)

I'd also agree with cerulean to slighly sand the rough forge finish, mainly for ,I think, two reasons:
o polished/flat steel is less subject to rust than a sand-paper like steel.
o It cuts better and gets less easily stacked in some material.
I did exactly the same to an Iisakki Jarvenpaa of mine.

BTW It is not LEUKO but LEUKU. I understand that ethnic knife names like khukuri(?) kukri(?), puukko and leuku are hard to spell.

Thanks Tommy, being a Euro, I should not misspell other Euro countries names! Lucky we are the nordics countries still produce fine fixed blades.