Rosvall's plastic party knives

Maybe some of you are familar with Mr. Rosvall - an avid poster in the knifes review and custom knives forums.. To thos who are not familiar with him, he is one of the most talented individuals I have met.. He makes copper, brass, steel jewelry (I have a few bracelets on my wrist), does scrimshaw (he taugt me how and does it for Neil Blackwood), carves pendants out of wood and micarta, makes custom wood and snakeskin knife handles as well as tribal charm pouches with snakeskin and deer pelt. His work always has a homely charming look and feel.

I was abotu to say that Rosvall can do about anything EXCEPT make knives. The package I got in the mail a few days back really made me gawk.. Check it out:

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/bounty/rosg10.jpg

Here are three of his new projects he sent to me for review.. I got the third one down without the index finger groove. The knife is ground out of 3/16 stock and chisel ground for right hand use, it is also custom fit exactly for my hand with great precision. (the sneaky guy asked for my 'measurements' and I thought he was gonna make me somesort of glove ^_^. I was pleased to receive it as lately I've been showing an interest in g10 knives as well as crowsbill blades (this he didn't know - must've read my mind)

the trademark lanyard is made from deer pelt (?) and braided exquisitely.

--here's a blurb from him too---
Glad it got to you safely and glad you like it. I got the raw material from www.mcmastercarr.com Under the raw materials I click on plastics, then click on Garolite. They have many grades I never heard of, I bought a sample size of G-10, not very expensive. They also sell bigger sheets in black, blue, but I kind of like that tan color. I cut it out on a power scroll saw (this stuff is very hard on blades- took 2-3 blades for every one I've done) and then did the main grinding on a small 4x36 belt sander. After that it was drill the holes and then start filing and sanding. My Hossom millenium was the inspiration for polishing the grinds to 600 grit and leaving the flats and handle at 220 grit. Go ahead and test away, have fun, and if you destroy it, I'll just send you another. If you feel like reviewing that's okay too.

---cut----

The quality of the grindwork was excellent and clean in my opnion. as I held the g10 knife in my hands I kept on wondering WHY in the world was Rosvall wasting his time with g10 when he can do true steel blades. IN my opnion Rosvall does smother cleaner grind lines than many other knfiemakers out there who charge an insane amount of money for their works. All the edges and corners on this knife are smoothes sanded and chamfered for comfort.. and you woudln't believe the atention to detail Rosvall places on the knife as I even overlooked the tapered tang that serves as a hollow for your palm the first time I looked it over.,

I woudl love to see his double edged crow's beak knife in steel some day in the future.

as you know g10 knives are made for two things.. gettign thru metal detectors and as a last ditch tool - this is not made for daily use or repeated abuse. The knife can't keep a very workable edge but enough to do a few cutting chores, as such the quality of this knife comes from it's point. I feel that his second and third design are best suited for last ditch tasks liek stabbing and tearing. I am not so sure if his first design will work as a trialing point is mainly used for skinning.

keeping this in mind I proceeded to do light duty by opening a few letters, I then got ambitious and tore open an aluminum coke can with it all the way around - nice straight cuts and he didn't stand a chance.., but this significantly wore out the edge. Finally I had someone hold up a gloosy magazine - with a forceful slash I was able to rip thru approximately 20 pages and three slashes went though the whole publication.

The knife's life was significanlty batterd after this ordeal and I feel that I have to send the knfie back for refurbishing.
smile.gif
the main cutting arc can still pick out the callouses from my palms and fingers quite well thogh after all the abuse.

I then noticed the sharpened top edge.. not the took for slashing but gret for picking and openieng yet more letters.

A fine little trinket from a master tinkerer in my opinion.

Right now Rosvall is working on some forged copper scalpels (he calls them battered forged 'things') which are really cool too. I am eagerly awaiting more news on them...

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/bounty/rosscalp.jpg

------------------
URBAN.LEGENDS.(BalisongGARBAGE)
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
[FAKE01].[the mirror site](www.rejectionist.com)
If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

[This message has been edited by sniperboy (edited 02-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sniperboy (edited 02-05-2001).]

I would be very interested in purchasing a couple of those synthetic knives....especially the top one in the pic. do you know if he will take orders for them, and if so how much?
I like the looks of them and especially if he can take measurements, etc. for custom orders.
thanks.

sniperboy- thanks much!! Now I'm gonna have to buy some new hats 'cuz my head is swelling up.
wink.gif
Truly glad you enjoyed that blade and very glad it performed well. You'll soon be getting a bronze one to check out, too. Anyone interested feel free to e-mail me and we'll work something out. I'll be unavailable this weekend, but will get back to you ASAP. Oh, and Sniperboy- the check is in the mail
biggrin.gif

Richard IS the MAN!! His work is spectacular, his generosity is overwhelming
smile.gif

Whenever a package arrives from Deluth, it's like a scene from Married With Children at the Blackwood residence!! My wife and daughter fighting over the copper bracelets, my son and I "calmly" discussing the scrimshawed pendants and other items
wink.gif

I can't WAIT to get my half of our project together.... I better let Richard decide if he wants to make this public!!
I wish the DAMN picture I took of it came out better but.... Richard Scrimshawed a rather WILD looking girl on a block of paper micarta with a very nice wooden base. What REALLY makes this WILD is that she's wearing one of MY neck knives.... between her rather large..... thingies, all but covered by a bikini top!!!!! It is now one of my PRIZE posesssions. Once I get a good picture, it will be on the opening page of my website!!
Richard is one of the great FRIENDS I've been lucky to meet here on the forum and hope to someday meet in person.
Neil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Knives in STOCK!! I just updated my website, PLEASE take a look :)

blackwoodknives.com

Thanks much, Neil. Having the honor to scrim on your project is really going to be great fun. Just hope I can do justice to your fine work!
smile.gif

Sir Blackwood, you keep on teasing me with these knives wirth ROsvall's scrim and I keep waiting in earnest
smile.gif

I am glad you liekd the review Rosvall, if anything I hope it inspires you tocontinue with your fine gift both in talent and personality. Thanks for everythign youve taught me.

------------------
URBAN.LEGENDS.(BalisongGARBAGE)
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
[FAKE01].[the mirror site](www.rejectionist.com)
If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

S......
I REALLY overbooked myself for January through March. The two knives are hanging above my workbench SCRRREEEEEAMING to be finished. BELIEVE me, I want to get them to Richard ASAP but I have to work on them when time permits.

Richard,
I think you got it backwards!! I have to make the knives good enough for the scrimshaw!!!

Neil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Knives in STOCK!! I just updated my website, PLEASE take a look :)

blackwoodknives.com

Back