Rough compression lock, PM2

Hi all,
New to this forum, which is a shame since my knife collection is growing. Just got the PM2 and put my LynchNW deep carry clip on it as is required! I find the compression lock release kind of rough and stiff. Is there a way to make it smoother? Some kind of lube? Or does this break in over time and smooth out? Thanks!

Rough as in sticking when you depress the liner? Or rough as in you feel grit while depressing it? Some lock stick is pretty common in the couple of paras I’ve owned but gets better with time.

Rough as in sticking when you depress the liner? Or rough as in you feel grit while depressing it? Some lock stick is pretty common in the couple of paras I’ve owned but gets better with time.
Hello and thank you. It's that annoying metal on metal grindy feeling. I don't really know what lock stick feels like on a compression lock so it could be that.

Hello and thank you. It's that annoying metal on metal grindy feeling. I don't really know what lock stick feels like on a compression lock so it could be that.
I'd try to get a Q-tip with some isopropyl alcohol on it and clean all around the stop pin, including part of it from the inside of the scales, then clean out that U-shaped cutout in the blade tang that's present at the top of the knife when the blade is closed (the place where the nub of the compression lock enters). Also clean off the inside face of the compression lock that goes into the blade tang when opened.

This is made much easier if you're comfortable with disassembly, but just know that the PM2 is a little more difficult to get back together the same way that it was before if you're not familiar with it.

Do not put oil in this area. Oil on locking surfaces makes these issues worse.

Best of luck!

Spyderco makes very high quality folding knives manufactured to extremely tight tolerance . I’ve always simply let them break in with use and have never been disappointed.

I'd spray the heck out of it with WD-40, let it sit for an hour, then wipe everything off and work the lock 100 times +. If that didn't work send another post to this BF thread with your findings.

Last edited:
Back