Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Thanks for showing and commenting on that Roper.
You're welcome!

Details concerning the bath please.
I just used hot/warm water with some dish soap and a hard brush. After the knife is dry, flushing the joints with mineral oil helps a lot too (put some mineral oil on the joints and open and close the blades until no more grime seeps out of the knife). Most of the times it seams to be even more effective than the bath.

I read Roper knives (older SMKW brand ?) used 1065 steel. Can't find any info on that steel. What little I found it didn't sound nearly as good 1095. Any info on 1065 appreciated.

Rich

Last edited:
I read Roper knives (older SMKW brand ?) used 1065 steel. Can't find any info on that steel. What little I found it didn't sound nearly as good 1095. Any info on 1065 appreciated.

Rich

It's true they use 1065. What I read about it, is that it's more a sword steel than a pocketknife steel because it has a lower carbon content (and therefore less edge retention?). But I'm not really hard on my knives, I use them to cut fruit, open packages, cut a zip-tie etc. and haven't noticed any diference in performance. Which doesn't mean there isn't, but I don't use my knives hard / often enough to notice.

Edit:
I found two topic on the Roper knife prior to buying it. I decided to try for myself :)

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/current-roper-production-experience.1268646/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cattlemans-cutlery.1045635/

Last edited:
  1. The Roper mentioned is a nice looking knife. Thinking of getting one, just wanted to know something about the steel. Sounds like it is about the level of SAK steels, which is fine with me. I carry a SAK Tinker all the time.
Rich

Rich
1065 is "tougher" or not as brittle as 1095.
Edge retention is slightly less than 1095. Although, my Cold Steel "Heavy Machete" has a 1065 blade, and seems to hold an edge just fine. I used it for trimming palm fronds.

Here you go!
Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that.

36555287175_82fded7d10_b.jpg

DeltaBoy, you sure do like rough riders! :)
He's not the only one. :) IMHO they are just as good or better than the average Case, at a much more reasonable cost. Not to mention Rough Rider makes patterns Case sees fit not to, like a Barlow, for instance.

He's not the only one. :) IMHO they are just as good or better than the average Case, at a much more reasonable cost. Not to mention Rough Rider makes patterns Case sees fit not to, like a Barlow, for instance.
I know! They're really great. Quite the bang for you buck without having to really compromise anything!

Here are three Chinese Barlows, so they are probably supposed to go into the Rough Rider thread/ghetto. :D
Marbles ram's horn Barlow (I have several Marbles ram's horn knives, and the covers are done very well, I think):
UCZWCR2.jpg

rMFnIel.jpg

Sarge BSA Barlow in 440C:
bB8m6ox.jpg

iAnkdTE.jpg

Rite Edge Barlow with lanyard tube:
md6OGQk.jpg

Q8QTywl.jpg

- GT

Rite Edge Barlow with lanyard tube
These are in fact perhaps my favorite Chinese import Barlows, their utilitarian no frills take on the pattern much more in line with what the pattern was for most of its history. I originally purchased one as a beater/loaner knife, but discovered quickly that it performed well beyond its price point. Steel bolsters and liners, natural rosewood handles (often with a bit of figure to them), sunk joints, well centered blades on a nice large pivot pin, with nice walk and talk. Nothing fancy for looks, but they sure like to work all day long.

With the move to the new house, still settling in and fixing those things that need immediate attention, has drawn all my discretionary funds so low, that I looked to the Rough Rider brand to help ease the pain of not being able to afford a 'better' class of knife :) which is all very subjective to begin with, but that we will leave for future commentary ;)

Suffice to say the Rough Riders that I had previously were pretty well made and while not the latest greatest steel, still took a decent edge. This one is keeping that same trend alive.

Alive...that's an odd way of putting it, considering this is from the infamous Zombie Nick line of Rough Rider folders, the RR1455, Elephants toenail/Sunfish pattern folder.

Both blades have good snap to them, pull is decent, no nail breakers and no weak knees either, just as you'd like from a folder. Neither blade has any play at all, quite solid when open, each blade has it's own spring but still keeps it fairly thin.

Closed it is about 4" long, and about .4" thick but at the widest point is 1 1/2" wide so it fills the pocket/hand pretty well.
Main blade can be pinched open, but they do provide a nice match strike nail nick as well, it measures about 2.7" long and a hair over 1" wide and ground down pretty nice to a thin edge.
Smaller blade at about 2.1" long and about .7" wide, it is also ground down fairly thin as well, but I'd say the larger blade is a tad thinner edged between the two of them.

It has on the back of the main blade the mysterious 440 Razor Sharp steel notation, no letter designation but guessing that it is not 440c :)

Both blades arrived sharp, sharper than some other brands that cost multiples more than this one, but not shaving sharp, that came later and both sport that edge now.

I've always liked the looks of the Elephant toenail/Sunfish pattern but hadn't plunk down the coin for one. This one caught my eye, as did the less than $15 price tag, plus the oddity of being a Zombie Nick model made it just odd enough that folks at work will smile before being worried, fingers crossed.

The box has Zombie Nick and his smiling mug on the top with some blood spatter ink along the outer edges as well as the sides, so take care opening the box!

I'd recommend this one, at least this example I have, as a pretty solid folder to do those chores that you'd typically pass on to your friendly neighbor hood zombie...Here's some images of the knife;

IMG_1524 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_1520 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

on the one side of the small blade, they do recommend this sound reasoning...

IMG_1521 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and I was able to get a zombie to pose holding this, but that seemed risky so I took the shot and knife and zipped back into the house as quick as I could, they smile a lot and can seem friendly, but I just don't trust them! ;)

IMG_1519_ by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

And even as large as it is, it does fit into my watch pocket, fills it up, but it does fit!
G2

Last edited:
I like the one I have. :) I agree with your assessment. They do make for an interesting EDC, don't they?
I've found they disappear (don't "print") in your pocket regardless of what trousers or suit slacks you're wearing.
Will you be getting the Zombie Nick canoe or trapper next? :)

Thanks for now this will hold me for a while, but I'd probably go for the canoe between the two
G2

Just picked up a handful of rough riders. Thought I might share a few observations. All except for the small barlow have the brown jigged bone covers. None have half-stops. The 201 deluxe barlow and the 533 camp knife are my favorites. I'd say they are on par with the newer Case knives i have owned, maybe better in some aspects. Centering is spot on on the delux barlow and action is really nice. No blade play, and all the blades shave hair. The 106 Whittler is a little rough around the edges, but not bad. There is some blade play, centering is off but not rubbing, and the liners have gaps on the ends of the knife. Still worth the $10 it cost IMO. The 195 small stockman had the worst f&f. One of the back springs sticks up a lot when the blades are all closed. Though, it is flush if the main clip is open. The pull is very lite on the smaller knives. It is strong on the camp knife but not a nail breaker.

RR1.jpg

Back