Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Sounds like I might have gotten the dud of the bunch, which is pretty much my track record with Rough Ryder knives. It's not really that bad, but nowhere near the quality of Case and a long ways from GEC. But for $20, I really can't complain much. It'll get used. ;)
I bought three of them. One is just about perfect, another decent f&f and w&t but a crooked blade, and the other decent f&f but horrible w&t and also a crooked blade. No concerning gaps in any position on all three though :thumbsup:
As has been noted, this is nearly a duplicate of the Northfield Viper in looks and size. I'm pleased with my one good version and will practice modding on the others :)

Sounds like consistency isn't their strong point.
I was thinking about returning mine, even sent them an email, but now I'm afraid of getting one that's worse.

Sounds like consistency isn't their strong point.
I was thinking about returning mine, even sent them an email, but now I'm afraid of getting one that's worse.
1:3 odds based on my sample size :)

As has been noted, this is nearly a duplicate of the Northfield Viper in looks and size.

Of course the Northfield Viper itself is nearly a duplicate of the old Sheffield Tackler pattern once made by many Sheffield firms:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sheffield-made-tackler-knives.1468885/

Still made now only by Wrights of Sheffield and only in rosewood at the moment. Older ones from various Sheffield makers turn up once in a while. A great pattern for whittling. I ordered two of the RR 2038s, one was spot on the other needed a little time with the whetstone.

Of course the Northfield Viper itself is nearly a duplicate of the old Sheffield Tackler pattern once made by many Sheffield firms:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sheffield-made-tackler-knives.1468885/

Still made now only by Wrights of Sheffield and only in rosewood at the moment. Older ones from various Sheffield makers turn up once in a while. A great pattern for whittling. I ordered two of the RR 2038s, one was spot on the other needed a little time with the whetstone.
Absolutely. I guess what is being pointed out (and what stands out) is the trim....swedge, lined bolsters look just like the Northfield...same exact size too.
Aesthetics aside, the good version I have is a much nicer knife than the price would indicate. I guess since I had to buy three to get one good verson the price works out about right :)

Fit and finish is very good. It’s a dead ringer for the #47, maybe too close for comfort. I’m always going to be honest in my assessments though, the walk and talk is on par with the Northfield.

View attachment 1180527
Thanks for the pic! That should answer all of our questions quickly! IMO, the wait between releases of the 47 was going to be a long one and RR responded with a great knife on the cheap! It worked for me - mine will be here tomorrow!

I sent the company an email about my issues with the knife, but got no response.
This will probably be my last Rough Ryder knife. I've bought about eight of them and only two were respectable knives. I could have spent that money on a GEC or a couple of Case knives. They can (and do) put out some good knives but I'm tired of wading through the poor ones to find them.

I sent the company an email about my issues with the knife, but got no response.
This will probably be my last Rough Ryder knife. I've bought about eight of them and only two were respectable knives. I could have spent that money on a GEC or a couple of Case knives. They can (and do) put out some good knives but I'm tired of wading through the poor ones to find them.

I believe you said the issue was a slightly proud tang when closed. I wouldn't say that counts as an issue with the Work knife which retails new at $12.99.

I believe you said the issue was a slightly proud tang when closed. I wouldn't say that counts as an issue with the Work knife which retails new at $12.99.
The proud tang was just the most annoying problem with that knife.
But I agree, at $20 shipped, I don't have too much room to complain... You win some and you lose some.

Last edited:
I haven't visited this thread in quite a while but RR just put out a swayback wharncliffe pattern that I absolutely couldn't resist. I couldn't post the photo as I don't believe the place selling them are a sponsor but man I just had to have one.

Here are the specs featuring micarta handles!

Features: 440A Stainless Steel. Satin Finish. Micarta Handles. Brass Liners. Brushed Stainless Bolsters. Half Stops . Lanyard Hole.

Measurements: 3.125" Wharncliffe Blade. 1/16" Blade Thickness. 3.87" Closed. 6.87" Overall. 2.88 oz.

EDIT: NVM just saw that you guys beat me to it, lol. Carry on!

cchu518 -
I just got that wharncliffe in the mail today. Only average or below for RR and I usually like RRs. Gaps between micarta and bolsters. The pull weight is very strong. Can get it to half stop with difficultly, but then have to grasp blade like an easy opener to get it totally open. It did come pretty sharp. It won't be in my rotation.:(
Rich

Last edited:
cchu518 -
I just got that wharncliffe in the mail today. Only average or below for RR and I usually like RRs. Gaps between micarta and bolsters. The pull weight is very strong. Can get it to half stop with difficultly, but then have to grasp blade like an easy opener to get it totally open. It did come pretty sharp. It won't be in my rotation.:(
Rich
Mine was filthy. Try flushing the joint, there may be some gunk caught in there.

I cleaned it out well. Took a small square diamond file and rounded the joints a bit - didn't help.
Worked it back and forth until my hands hurt. Noticed the blade is quite a bit off center; doesn't rub,
but can't put a piece of paper between blade and liner. Oiled it up - more oil in the knife joints than
is in my car. Still way to stiff to open easily and past half stop still need a easy opener grasp.
RR quality is really slipping on this model at least.
Rich

Last edited:
I cleaned it out well. Took a small square diamond file and rounded the joints a bit - didn't help.
Worked it back and forth until my hands hurt. Noticed the blade is quite a bit off center; doesn't rub,
but can't put a piece of paper between blade and liner. Oiled it up - more oil in the knife joints than
is in my car. Still way to stiff to open easily and past half stop still need a easy opener grasp.
RR quality is really slipping on the model at least.
Rich
Are we talking Case Sodbuster sketchiness? They usually have a great return policy, that's always the crux of it though, the return cost on a $13-$20 knife.

Back