Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

9K0jJio.jpg

I got this one recently, nice knife.

Since I don't seem to have the right magic anymore for reserve signups and drops, I purchased a couple RR knives so I'd have the thrill of seeing the mailman coming.... To manufacture and market these knives for the selling price is quite remarkable..... The knives in the 3 photos are functional tools... Most will have minor cosmetic shortcomings, but they certainly are fit for a workman or adventurer....
Anyhoot, these are most of my RR knives... I have a few more at another location that were not photographed.....
View attachment 1427664 View attachment 1427665 View attachment 1427666

Do you keep them in those knife rolls for long term storage, and if so, can it damage the knives through knife-to-knife contact or rusting problems? That's a nice collection!

Do you keep them in those knife rolls for long term storage, and if so, can it damage the knives through knife-to-knife contact or rusting problems? That's a nice collection!

Thank you!!... I keep all my traditional knives in knife rolls without problems..... I live in an area that isn't extremely humid... And my house humidity is never high.... But maybe for those that live in high humidity areas other storage methods would be better.... I used to have a gun safe that used a dehumidifier rod to keep moisture at bay... That system worked very well....

New Rough Rider Reserve knives are in now stock at SMKW. I bought the one arm razor D2 denim micarta RRR001 even though it was $39.99 with a tube tin(?). Ouch! But a cleaning cloth is included too.

Last edited:
New Rough Rider Reserve knives are in now stock at SMKW. I bought the one arm razor D2 denim micarta RRR001 even though it was $39.99 with a tube tin(?). Ouch! But a cleaning cloth is included too.

I just ordered this as well. It’ll actually be my first RR so hopefully at more than double normal pricing it’ll be worth it (the D2 certainly has a lot to do with it - rightfully so).

The picture looks great though; can’t wait!

I’ve got a question that I would like some opinions on. It isn’t worth its own thread, so I will ask it here and hope that I don’t aggravate the mods!
I’ve been collecting Rough Ryder (Rider) knives for a little while now and was considering selling some of my collection and it got me thinking about how others collect. So my question is, do you collect by pattern or cover material? And why? I’ve gone back and forth and have done both but was curious about how other collectors build their collections.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I used to collect by covers, tried to get all or most of the patterns in a cover and I realized that I have lots of knives that I have never used and likely will never use. Probably going to move some of them along to make room, and a few bucks, for patterns I enjoy carrying and using and not just to look at.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I used to collect by covers, tried to get all or most of the patterns in a cover and I realized that I have lots of knives that I have never used and likely will never use. Probably going to move some of them along to make room, and a few bucks, for patterns I enjoy carrying and using and not just to look at.

What I like about Rough Ryders is that I don't feel too guilty having a bunch laying around because of their price. They seem to be made in limited runs as well, so if you decide to sell off the collection a few years later, you will likely make a small profit. They make great gifts as well. As to your initial question, I mostly am attracted to the pattern. Rough Ryder has a lot of unique, interesting knives, as well as some designs patterned pretty closely to those made my companies that have been around quite a while. I would say when I'm chosing one of their knives, initially I will go by pattern, and then decide on the cover material. In that last folding hunter I bought, both the pattern and covers had equal weight in my decision.

The problem is, I like mostly all of them.

I like a lot of them, but not all. If I do really like the pattern, I end up buying a couple of them "just in case" because of their limited runs.

Nice shape them. My own developed some blade play after 20 mins use, surprised as they were well received by people who used them.

Hmm, I haven't really used mine yet. I don't usually like the swayback pattern, but the hype got to me on this one. Sort of an outlier from my usual decision process lol. Hype does get me on occasion. I will use mine a bit and see what happens.

I want the RRR001 Easy Open Razor. Nobody's stocking it yet here in the UK but one stockist was able to sell the RRR002 Kayak, so I bought that (equivalent to 78usd). 15 seconds out of the copious packaging was long enough to laugh out loud and put it back for immediate return. I believe it was personally designed by Andy at SMKW, and I would be interested to know why a canoe-type pattern requires not only two backsprings, but enough unused space between the liners to accommodate an imaginary second pair of blades. This results in a knife which is disproportionately wide, sacrificing elegance, lightness, slimness and carryability. A pity, because it's made of attractive materials and nicely put together.

D dovidola All my two blade RR canoe, and Buck 389 canoe have two back springs.
FWIW, they are no wider than my 1990's single spring "Remington" by Camillus canoe across the bolsters or covers. I don't have a micrometer or vernier caliper to measure them, but the RR 'A Stroke of Luck' canoe may be slightly thinner, even with two back springs. :)

I don't remember if my Amber Bone CV Case canoe has one or two back springs. I haven't had access to it in almost 2 years, since I had a "minor" stroke. :(

EDIT
I just checked.
The RRR001 is the single blade easy open razor/one armed.
The RRR002 is the "Kayak"/Swell Center canoe with two blades.
The RRR003 is the 3 blade whittler.

Do you have the RRR002 or RRR003?

Last edited:
D dovidola All my two blade RR canoe, and Buck 389 canoe have two back springs.
FWIW, they are no wider than my 1990's single spring "Remington" by Camillus canoe across the bolsters or covers. I don't have a micrometer or vernier caliper to measure them, but the RR 'A Stroke of Luck' canoe may be slightly thinner, even with two back springs. :)

I don't remember if my Amber Bone CV Case canoe has one or two back springs. I haven't had access to it in almost 2 years, since I had a "minor" stroke. :(

Doesn't the RRR0001 have three blades?

No, the RRR001 has one blade, and SMKW have given it just the one spring thankfully. The RRR003 has 3 blades and 2 springs.
I only have one RR Canoe - it's RR048 in Amber Jigged Bone and it's great - stunning at the price and very good irrespective of price. In light of what you said, I got it out for a look and yes you're absolutely right there are two springs - so well hafted I thought they were one! Looking at the photos I took of the RRR Kayak, I see that not only are the springs wider, but there's a third brass liner separating them. This explains why on my Canoe the blades appear to sit in congress (with even a little blade rub), but on the Kayak they look miles apart. I should have done my homework better on that Kayak - the stated weight alone should have been a giveaway!

Back