roughing up neutron micarta scales?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Eman816, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Eman816

Eman816 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2019
    so i just recently got my micarta scales for my neutron. i love them and everything but my only gripe is the polished micarta is slick. i was wondering if anyone knew of a solid way to give them some texture?

Mr.Wizard likes this.
  2. akguy59

akguy59

Aug 19, 2017
    Easy just hit them with some 60 grit sandpaper.

tyyreaun and GABaus like this.
  3. Eman816

Mar 19, 2019
    So no progression just 60 Grit?

4. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    I think a checkering file used skillfully would yield a very nice result. Files are available in a variety of lines-per-inch so you can choose your coarseness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GABaus likes this.
  5. Eman816

Mar 19, 2019
    hmm that might be an option too i dont want to completely beat the shit out of them just a little roughing to give me some grip cause theyre slicker then snot right now

6. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Personally I think well-applied checkering would look better than 60 grit roughing. How about bead blasting?

GABaus likes this.
  7. Eman816

Mar 19, 2019
    See I don't have any kind of tumbling equipment for that other then the ghetto rig stone washing sadly

tyyreaun and GABaus like this.
  8. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    By bead blasting I meant air pressure blasting with glass bead, but I don't actually know if that works. I've never seen it done to Micarta. It makes a great matte finish on metal however, so if you don't like the idea of fine checkering I thought it was worth exploring.

9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Just use some 320 grit sandpaper on them.

tyyreaun likes this.
  10. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    I use a sanding 'sponge' in the 60-80 grit range. It'll roughen the surface a bit, and you can always sand it finer.
    If you want a balance between the two, use something finer than 60 and only stroke in one direction so that the micro grooves/gouges align, or do them cross-hatch, just don't use circular motion and be sparing.

Also, don't huff the dust.

11. Eman816

Mar 19, 2019
    i got some 60grit paper ill have to try this weekend with it and see what i come up with.

12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    At 60 grit, you may as well scrub the handles on a sidewalk!
    Micarta only heeds the sheen removed to be very "grippy."

tyyreaun, lex2006 and Mr.Wizard like this.
  13. Eman816

Mar 19, 2019
    Yeah I ended up going wirh 220 and it's amazing the difference you're right about taking the polish sheen off

tyyreaun and Mr.Wizard like this.
  14. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    For sure!

I scuffed up the handle of Yaxell Dragon Fire gyuto very lightly some 600 and it turned out great. Just needed that high gloss knocked down a touch.