round files for the plunge lines?

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I read somewhere to use round files for the plunge lines. I got some, and am hoping it will make my plunge lines look nicer: file in the plunge lines first, using the round needle files, THEN grind/file in the bevels.

Crappy phone picture. #160-0, #160-2, #180-0, #180-2:

31770769985_54399bd034.jpg

Picture from catalog.

31504457356_83f5b3ffba_b.jpg

Last edited:
That is how I do it.
But don't file all the way to the edge leave some extra steel. (extra thick)
Also don't file all the way up. I found thet filing ~1/4" high is enough.

Mind you I am no where near as good on a grinder as a lot of the knifemakers here

I recently got some Glardon Vallorbe files and they are amazing. They cut so much better than any other file I've used and leave a smoother surface. Now I just have to figure out how to store them all. I haven't tried using the rounds for the plunge lines. I just got the bubble jig and just use the holder as a file guide.

Don't use those tapered files... get some chainsaw files. If I do it that way I'll slap on a file guide, file in the plunges, first.... then grind in the bevels to feather in.

Yes, chainsaw files leave even and repeatable size grooves. Look at buying them in bundles of a dozen from an industrial supplier. I had a fellow that worked in a saw sharpening shop give me a bucket of 1/4" files. He said they use a file to sharpen one saw, and chuck it in the bucket. He also said they cost almost nothing in bulk.

I do the same: file guide + chainsaw file, and then feather in with the grinder.
It is enough to estabilish the edges of the plunge...in any case leave enough meat at the spine and at the edge, to pass through the HT and finishing. Remember that your surface it is not the bottom of the groove, but the bottom of the deepest scratch...card the file often.
It is very easy to cut the spine in one slip so either be very careful or place some restraint to the chainsaw file angle of attack, to be super safe ;)

Hmmm... I am glad I found this thread I am going to try it on my next knife. Thanks for the tip!

Back