Round knife Grinding

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Old Traf, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Old Traf

Old Traf Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2013
    I recently received a Jarod Todd round knife blank in AEB-L. I have been puzzling about how to grind it and not mess with the temper. If it were a fixed knife I would grind 45s then use my Fred Ro set to get close enough to go to the stones. I think I may go with doing the45s and initial grinds on the side of my Tormek T-4. Figured the water cooling would keep me from damaging the knife.

Any recommendations from the pros?

Mel

2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Yeah I'll help ya out with that. But out of time today. Get to it in the morning.

3. Old Traf

Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks Dave.

Mel

4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet Mel

Here's a really good WIP on roundknives with Paul and myself contributing.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-round-knife-wip.1540597/

AEB-L is very easy to grind post heat treat and I do all my grinding on roundknives after heat treat. Just dunk em often as you are grinding. What stock thickness is your blank?

5. Old Traf

Jun 1, 2013
    Stock thickness is .040 which is why I thought to grind on the side of my Tormek.

Mel

6. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    That’s perfect! Most folks that use these guys kinda want a convex grind/edge with very little if any secondary bevel. I’m making one right now for a saddlemaker in Australia. He was very specific about no secondary bevel.

7. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Should of mentioned that I try to taper the whole blade from right in front of the handle to the edge. So its not a true convex grind per se but still shooting for a zero edge all the way around the blade.