Round Knife, where you been all my life?

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by Redmeadow Knives, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    After studying threads in Sheaths & Such, I decided to make some round knives. These started out as .058" 52100 and ended up under .03" behind a convex edge. It took some tweaking but they cut like butter.

Unknown Spalted, Blackwood, and Mesquite burl.
    20200102_125217-01.jpeg

IMG_20200102_125857_706.jpg

Two things worth mentioning here:

First, thanks to @sheathmaker @TK Steingass @Horsewright and others for sharing their knowledge in the Sheath forum. The threads that those three have on round knives are the best resources out there.

Second, I'd never used a round knife before I made these. These are game changers to say the least. If anyone is on the fence or wondering if they are worth it, they are, period. Cutting leather with these is incredible, the push cut is so much more efficient. I really wish I would have known the value of these years ago.

2. Dopic1

Dopic1 Irredeemable wood purveyor Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Those are nice John, love the Mesquite burl. ;)

mitch4ging and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  3. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm gonna send those blocks off to have stabilized, they have some incredible grain. Can't thank you enough for those.

mitch4ging, Dopic1 and Mack like this.
  4. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Those are AWZOME! Look forward to trying one some day!:thumbsup:

Dopic1 and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  5. Dopic1

Dopic1 Irredeemable wood purveyor Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    You're quite welcome, I have one nice hunk left and deciding what I'm going to do with it. I'm finally at at a point where I can swing a hammer without too much trouble. Have some interesting things I want to try this year, have the forge in the basment shop relining it so I cans fire it up.

jlauffer, mitch4ging and Mack like this.
  6. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    That's awesome man, I hope you can get back at it and fire that sucker up! I'm looking forward to a productive year.

Pinemoon, mitch4ging and Dopic1 like this.
  7. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Beautiful and unique pieces.
    I imagine sharpening something like that is a bit different.

8. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Creating the initial convex is tricky when you have 180 degrees of edge but a quick strop is all it takes to maintain the edge.

Mack and Pinemoon like this.
  9. greatscoot

greatscoot Hmmmmm Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I saw those on your IG page, they are stunning.

Redmeadow Knives likes this.
  10. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Thanks man, (what's your IG name?)

Trying to get a photo to show the detail in blackwood is a pain.
    20200103_124345-01.jpeg

mitch4ging, trevitrace, Mack and 2 others like this.
  11. greatscoot

greatscoot Hmmmmm Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I don't have an IG account, I was following the link in your sigline. It lets you scroll down a few rows before it locks you out.

12. T.Knotts

T.Knotts Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2010
    Took this bad boy for a test drive today. I will admit I was a little intimidated at first. Holding it made me feel like both a super villain and a 10 fingered man that was about to be a 9 fingered one. Once I put it to leather, made a few passes and got used to pushing it through leather it all went smoothly. I was surprised how easily it made cutting curves. Top notch craftsmanship. Thanks again John. IMG_20200114_125147_982.jpg

Pinemoon, trevitrace, Mack and 3 others like this.
  13. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    That's....that's the one!:thumbsup:

Redmeadow Knives and T.Knotts like this.
  14. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    You're Welcome Tim, I hope it turns out to be of use:thumbsup:

Oh, and don't tell @mitch4ging where you live or that might come up missing!!:D

Mack, T.Knotts, Pinemoon and 2 others like this.
  15. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    :D:thumbsup: