RR: Kellam Bill Hook

I've used some just like the longer one and some a bit different small ones. I can't remember the manufacturer (If it even was marked but smaller were made by fiskars). As Kellam is not a manufacturer or distributor here I cant say that I used exactly same bill hooks but the long one is pretty much twin to one of my grandfatrers bill hook. We used them in forestry some years after logging. A couple of weeks working with these tools really makes you a beliver of this design. The long one is true workhorse. Smaller is not for full working days but suitable for smaller scale work. Nowadays Fiskars is making bill hooks with same handle material and style as is in current gerber axes.

Tomi - thanks for the feedback. Right now I'm leaning towards the bigger one. They look like well made chopping tools to me. By any chance do you know what steel is used?

I think that quite plain carbon steel. I cant say how hard they are but new fine file was ok when I sharpened those in woods. They did not chip but took dent when there was a couple nails!!!! and stones in those woods.

Originally posted by Jason Burns
Anyone have a link to the Fiskars/Gerber one?

Jason - I think what he meant was that Fiskars manufactured them for another company, so it's not marketed under the Fiskars/Gerber brand. Fiskars does have a manufacturing facility in Finland.

My nearest hardware store had smaller Fiskars bill hooks that were sold as Fiskars own line in same shelf as axes. This was a month ago. I'll check next week.

Dexter,

I haven't played with one. Although, their shop is near me so I have held a few. I don't like it. It seems far too specialized for me. Even though it is relatively light it has alot of bulk. Why bother with a specialized agricultural tool when there are so many similar tools out there that are so much more versatile. I would prefer to go with a Cold Steel LTC.

N2S

It is manufactured by either Fiskars or Gerber (I think Fiskars, I suppose they marketed their axes under the Gerber brand name in the US), and at least in Europe the bill hooks are sold under the Fiskars name. Same construction as the axes (tough plastic handle, coated blade, plastic carrying case/blade sheath). Jason, you got mail.

I went to my nearest hardware store to look for Fiskars Bill Hook and there indeed was about 10 of those. Price was approximately 20$. I looked in the product document to see if there was any info about steel. Product document stated (as it was common print for all axes and also for bill hook) that axes were made of coated carbonsteel and bill hook of some tough, impact resistant Cr Mo V steel. It was also coated. Product document was pretty good as it e.g. included illustrated guides for sharpening axes and tips for carving with an axe.

Looked it up in a big hardware store yesterday too; price is USD 22.50 there, and they are sold as Fiskars.

Yesterday I went to a mega hardware store to look for something else but paid a quick visit for axe 'department'. Fiskars also makes large bill hooks but after wery quick amazing moment I noticed that the large is not modernized version. Actually makes sense to have possibility to change the haft in this large one. It was painted to look like axes and the smaller bill hook but it was actually the old basic large bill hook (propably the same as Kellams).

Haven´t seen the larger models around here in Austria. So they basically are the traditional model painted in "Fiskars grey"? :D
Dexter, Jason, have you heard anything from Fiskars if the billhooks are available in the US?

I recently purchased a Kellam Bill Hook for a customer and he was very pleased with the tool. However, after using it the first time for chopping (moderate), the handle fractured at the pin attachment area.
Kellam was very nice in replacing the handle but sent a short handle instead of the longer one I had purchased. In my opinion, the shorter handle is not very effective. The longer handle is much more versatile and helps for extended reaching when clearing trails. The Bill Hook came razor sharp. The red paint finish was chipped in many places if cosmetics are a concern. The handle juncture is the weakest link especially if the chopping action does not contact the "sweet spot" most of the time. I feel heavy chopping would over stress the handle too much but for sapling/brush and light chopping it is great.
I would buy another one for those purposes. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by judge
Haven´t seen the larger models around here in Austria. So they basically are the traditional model painted in "Fiskars grey"? :D
Dexter, Jason, have you heard anything from Fiskars if the billhooks are available in the US?

Judge - I did make some calls to my contacts at Gerber. One of them has since left the company :( and the other guy hasn't called me back yet. So, nothing new. I'll call him back in a few days if I don't hear from him. I'd like to get a Fiskars bill hook if I can find one....

Originally posted by DDS
I recently purchased a Kellam Bill Hook for a customer and he was very pleased with the tool. However, after using it the first time for chopping (moderate), the handle fractured at the pin attachment area.
Kellam was very nice in replacing the handle but sent a short handle instead of the longer one I had purchased. In my opinion, the shorter handle is not very effective. The longer handle is much more versatile and helps for extended reaching when clearing trails. The Bill Hook came razor sharp. The red paint finish was chipped in many places if cosmetics are a concern. The handle juncture is the weakest link especially if the chopping action does not contact the "sweet spot" most of the time. I feel heavy chopping would over stress the handle too much but for sapling/brush and light chopping it is great.
I would buy another one for those purposes. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Kellam won't hold up to heavy use then? What you said about the handle juncture sort of surprises me, given that it is a chopping tool.

I just got off the phone with my contact from Gerber. He said he isn't aware of Fiskars making something like this, as they are two separate divisions (though Gerber's axes are made by Fiskars but that's the extent of it). He is going to ask around for me and let me know something hopefully in the next few days.

Update: Fiskars DOES make a bill hook. I was in touch with my contact at Gerber and he asked around, and confirmed that there is one in the Fiskars line. Only catch is it is for the European market only. Not only did he supply me with this information, but he actually located a sample in their Portland facility and is sending it to me as a T&E (test & evaluation) sample. It'll be here next week, planning on working with it and doing a review of it at a later date.

Overall length of the tool is about 20", handle is about 10". Same molded thermoplastic handle construction as the Gerber axes. No sheath, but there is a protective plastic sleeve that secures over the blade.

More later....

Hi Dexter,
would love to see a thorough review of it. I only have used it as a weapon during my escrima training (our group trains with a lot of odd weapons to get a feel for them). I like the handle construction, seems quite unbreakable (I remember a Fiskar promotional video where they drove over one of their axes - the ones that were sold as Gerbers in the US - with a car. Handle bent, but flexed back).
BTW, another specimen of that rare animal is on it´s way to Jason Burns. Maybe he´ll test it in Nicaragua.

Originally posted by judge
BTW, another specimen of that rare animal is on it´s way to Jason Burns. Maybe he´ll test it in Nicaragua.

WHOOPEEEEEE! I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judge, you are the greatest! I just got the bill hook today and love it . . . what an awesome piece! I just cannot believe they do not sell these here!?!:confused: :confused:
I have chopped some Kudzu (a vine that was imported to the US and now evelopes most of the southeast!!!) and some 2x6 treated pine lumber. It is awesome! You can choke up on the grip for more control or down for more power. I love it and cannot wait to take it to the woods and give it a real workout! (Then on to Nicaragua for a REAL workout!) I would recommend one of these over most machetes anyday! The fit and finish is incredible for the price and comes quite sharp with what the packaging says is a PTFE coating. It will sink 2.5 inches into a treated 2x6 easily!!!
I have included one snapshot just to show the overall look of the piece:

Attachments

• billhook.jpg
    billhook.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 174
Back