RTAK, or BK9 ????

Guys I am thinking of getting either the RTAK, or the BK9. Which of you, who own them, think either is a better buy and why? I want to spend as little as possible, so I am leaning towards the BK9, but I also want something that is very serviceable around the camp, but is also not too heavy, or bulky to carry, etc.

Hey Rev..

Both are good knives,,I own both..

Each have their drawbacks and good points I guess...

Both have big handles,,the Becker being a bit fatter..The RTAK wider..

The RTAK's blade is thinner and has a finer edge than the Becker..
The Becker in my opinion has a better fit and finish than the RTAK...

I guess it all depends on what you are going to use it for..The Becker being a chopper,,the RTAK is more of a brush/grass blade...

If I had to buy either,, I think I'd pick the Becker,,however i'd still want the RTAK in the collection...

Hopefully this hasn't made you more confused...
Look at what you are going to be doing with it,,and decide which one fits the bill better...

ttyle

Eric...

You might want to handle both these knives before you buy. I have an RTAK and it's a monster, the blade is 10" and the handle another 5". More like a machete than a camp knife. For the duties you described, I would look at a BK7 or RAT7.

If your looking for a long blade - RTAK -
If you want a med camp knife - BK-7 -
I like th elook of the RTAK. Its also quite afordable if you look around on the net. If you have the oportunity, handle both. You can always resell I guess.

I just like the BK-7 better than the BK-9. Seems like a more user friendly length to carry around.

Thats another thing to think about. Are you going to hip wear it or put it in a bag? Hip carry - BK-7 - Bag carry RTAK

I just like the RTAK :D

Thanks guys I appreciate it. When I was active duty AF for 8 years, and through desert shield/storm, I carried a F/U, an issue ontario. Before that I used an old western coleman w49 for many years (worked very well). I have a knifware "kampr", but I do not care for the rubber handle much. I also have a kabar next gen. in the D2, but its a little on the clumsy side (the weight). I wanted something on the "use for anything" basis". It looks like its more going to be a BK7, or a 9.

Thanks for all your input!!!

Sincerely in Christ's love,
John

Actually, i have. Thanks for the suggestion Will!! However when I do buy one, Im looking to spend a bit less.

Thanks though, much appreciated!!!

my bk9 had a very unwieldy handle, so i took it apart and paracorded it, whereupon the bitch bit me :D
anyway, one thing to note is the handle might feel uncomfortable if you're not used to it, and imo it does get slick when wet with sweat
ymmv, though, especially about the biting part

I saw in Tactical Knives that the RTAKs are going to be available in D2. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I may have to try one of those.

Back