Ruana Knives

I am thinking of adding to my collection but have not delt with or even handled any of "Ruana Knives". I was wondering if any one else on the site has good or bad information. I am tired of buying high dollar blades that I see on my lap top and then when they arrive they just don't fit. I don't mean they are bad just don't dance in your hand. Most of my other knives are what I call fighters, Bagwell, Beauchoup (sp), Dawson etc... Thanks for your help. JKS1911.

I'm looking forward to the responses to your post. I have never understood the appeal of the Ruana knives. No disrespect intended to Mr. Ruana, but the original knives that made the reputation look like they were made from an old car spring by someone who didn't quite have the hang of it.

Really, I'm not bashing, but what am I overlooking?

Ruana's are 1st rate! Old or New.. However, before you go and purchase any you should educate yourself first..

Rudy Ruana was the old man who started the craze for these extremely well built heavy duty hot forged sheath knives back in the middle 1930's and until 1983.. Thereafter, his Son-In-Law and Grandsons(whom I am personally acquainted) the Hangas family has taken over from 1984 -- to the present in old man Ruana's same style and forging techniques with the exact same equipment the old man used at his historic Shop in Montana..

I hope this helps you a little.. :cool:

If you need any further info just post and I'll advise.

Best,
Anthony

Ruana was one of the pioneers of Customs. I imagine an original would command a high price tag. I'm not sure if he was the originator of cast handles. or bolsters, but there were a few makers doing that. Gerber used the idea on some of their knives.

Thought I'd add my favorite hunting / skinning knife that I have owned since the 1970's..

6psthd.jpg

1z6ec8o.jpg

534psh.jpg

The above Rudolf Henry Ruana hunting knife has field dressed dozens of Whitetail Deer and Largemouth Bass in the last 40ish years during my hunting and fishing adventures and will likely see many more years of service after my sorry ass bones are rotting in my grave whilst serving my Sons excursions.. :)

Best,
Anthony

Ruana was one of the pioneers of Customs. I imagine an original would command a high price tag. I'm not sure if he was the originator of cast handles. or bolsters, but there were a few makers doing that. Gerber used the idea on some of their knives.

Yup,

He started the cast handle craze in the mid-1930's (a vintage Finnish art he learned from the old country) But understand, NO body did it any better than Mr. Ruana!

I looked at the Ruana website and I am impressed. I find the prices reasonable too. I wonder how long is the typical wait time when one orders from them.

Back in 2003-2004 (last time I ordered knives from the Ruana shop) it was 8-10 months.. It may be a little longer now-a-days.. But you should call them and ask. They are a very nice and easy to get along with group of folks to deal with. :thumbup:

This is my most recent Ruana and favorite Bowie that was forged by Victor Hangas..

fu3tat.jpg

2i8hoq1.jpg

Anthony

Last edited:
think he was from montana & still in business when i started collecting.knives were about 60 or 70$ & he liked elk horn for handles. he was famous for his happy demeanor & sense of humor .they may not be real slick in appearance but he was really respected by his famous peers.bagwells & beaucops are world famous but may not be your style. i suggest you put in hand the products out there till you find the blade that "sings in your grasp".

Quote: "sings in your grasp".
great phrase and so important. the big disadvantage of on-line knife shopping is that it provides no chance to hear how the song will be for you.
roland

Those 2 are beautiful Anthony!:cool:
I really like the Bowie.

Thanks, pard! Victor Hangas is a master at the forge and as previously stated he follows the old mans process to the 'T'.. However, IMO where Vic distinguishes himself is he is a perfectionist when it comes to the fit, finish and polish part of the process that old man Rudy did not pay as close attention too during those formative years..

But hell, I won't complain anytime any Ruana Knife Works knife is grasped in the midst of my paws!. :thumbup:

Anthony

Hope y'all don't mind but I thought I would add to this thread, my all time favorite Ruana fight'n Bowie forged by Victor Hangas. One of the finest fighting battle Bowie's I've ever owned. This is the one I actually continually wear during security details and/or in potential defensive situations. Worn on my chest over the shoulder on a custom military webbing rig it offers a superb stealy option.

24gpohh.jpg

4qhlcz.jpg

xby5qd.jpg

2mripv4.jpg

Anthony

They make a knife to cut, that's easy to sharpen and will last as long as you do. Get in touch with Mike Hangas and tell him your needs and he'll help you out in choosing...sometimes they have a few in stock. They also offer a ten day return/refund policy as long as you don't use the knife. My money says you'll keep it.

Back