Rudy made Ruana

Does anyone know how to differentiate between a real Rudy made and a more recent versions?

Joe Leung

Form what I know the Rudy made Knives are stamped RH Ruana Bonner Montana and many from the 1960's had an M stamped also next to the name. The later knives made by Steve? I believe are stamped Ruana Bonner Montana. This is from memory so before you sell or buy get another opinion.

Regards Ken

I live not too far from the Ruana Knife Works. All the knives made by Rudy (that I have seen)were signed by him on the blade with an engraving tool. Im not sure if he signed every one or not, hope this helps. By the way, Ruana Knives are responsible for me starting to make knives......but that is another story.

Thank you very much for the information!

I asked this because I've purchased a couple of Ruanas from a friend's collection. And now I am almost sure that they are not the original Rudy made. But that doesn't mattered as they are not expensive either, and I think they are very good working blades too!

Rob, how's your story? Would you like to share with us?
smile.gif

Joe Leung

OK Joe, here is my story,not very interesting but here it is..... It was back in about 1983 and I was working on a ranch near here.I was one of the full time Cowboys and did nothing but ride all day. One Christmas morning under the tree was a small Ruana Knife, it was a great little knife and I used it a lot for all the stuff you use a knife for. The thing I liked about it was you could get to it without taking my chaps and gloves off! I had it about three months and one day I was out doctoring calves and noticed one with some hay string tangled around a foot, so I roped him and used the Ruana to cut away the string. A bit later I roped another calf and went to get the Ruana and it was gone. I backtracked and tried to find but the snow was too deep and no luck. After the snow was gone I went back and looked but I still couldnt find it. i think it is probably in the bottom of an old Buffalo Wallow that was in the pasture. Anyway, I started cutting out saw blades and using files and springs etc to try to make a similar knife but boy were they crude compared to the Ruana! I started getting a little better at making them when I injured my knee in a horse wreck, with nothing to do and a cast up to my butt for months I started getting serious about making knives and selling them. And well, here I am today, a part time maker with a lot of backorders!
http://www.simonichknives.com

Back