Ruike Jager

jstn

Gold Member
I've yet to see a review for this blade, and I like it enough I thought it warranted one. It is a really excellent knife for the price, and would be excellent for a higher price as well. I got it for $55, but it seems to generally go for a bit more.

IMG_20171229_160513736.jpg
The ergonomics on this knife are exceptional. It has nice textured G10 handles and just melts into your hand; it is top five for me in terms of knife ergos. Maybe top three.

IMG_20171229_160500969.jpg Fit and finish is really top notch as well. The attention to detail is great, with no hot spots or sharp edges. Everything on the blade is rounded off including the spine of the blade, which adds to the aesthetic appeal and comfort.

IMG_20171229_160443819.jpg
Although the sheath is plastic, I really like it. It fits well with no rattle, and the knife clicks in very securely. Additionally, there is a thumb ramp and jimping that allow the user to easily remove the knife. The belt clip is great too as it has a button at the bottom that allows you to quickly change the carry position by rotating it, giving you ten options.

IMG_20171229_160520754.jpg
The steel is 14C28N, which I like. It is not a super steel, but it is easy to sharpen and fairly tough for a stainless, and it holds a decent edge. I really like it for a user. I have not used the knife a ton yet, but I cut up a bunch of boxes and helped open Christmas presents with it and it seems to be on par with other 14C28N I've used.

IMG_20171229_160452812.jpg
Overall, this knife is a great value. As a companion blade to a larger fixed blade in the woods, or maybe even an EDC, you get a lot for the price. I really cannot find any flaws with this knife and it will certainly be a mainstay in my rotation.

Thank you for the presentation! Nice blade. I would like to read your opinion and review when you will test it. And in comparison with other (in the same price level) blades...

I never even heard of Ruike, so that's a new one on me. Seems like a really nice knife for the price. I paid about 3x that for my Lionsteel M5 Hunter, a knife which looks very similar to that one.

Thank you for the presentation! Nice blade. I would like to read your opinion and review when you will test it. And in comparison with other (in the same price level) blades...

I have gotten out in the woods some the past few weekends and put the Ruike through some use. The closest comparison I have is my ESEE 4, which is the same size but a bit more expensive. I think the Ruike compares very favorably. I used it for quite a few woods tasks (feather sticks, cutting cordage, whittling, opening packages, taking down a few saplings, etc.) but no batoning or anything, and it held its edge well. In terms of ergos, I prefer the Ruike to the ESEE 4, but that can vary by person. Although I don't think the Ruike's knife steel could take as much abuse as the ESEE, it is nice that it is stainless.

As the ESEE 4 and Ruike are my only two 4 inch fixed blades, I had been planning on buying a nice 4 inch fixed in a high end stainless (M390, Elmax, etc.). At this point, I think I am going to save my money. The Ruike is really everything I need in that size range, and I have begun to appreciate steels that are easily field sharpened like the Sandvik. Really can't speak highly enough of this blade. I am getting my father one; when he saw it he immediately loved it too!

Last edited:
I never even heard of Ruike, so that's a new one on me. Seems like a really nice knife for the price. I paid about 3x that for my Lionsteel M5 Hunter, a knife which looks very similar to that one.
Wow, I checked out the M5 and they do look very similar. I suspect the M5 is far superior, as I hear nothing but great things about Lionsteel, but I think the Ruike makes a nice blade that you don't have to worry about since it is relatively inexpensive.

I own several Lionsteel knives, both fixed blade and folders. Some are branded by them while others are designs from different companies and Lionsteel was the contract vendor used to build them. In either case, the craftsmanship and design are always first rate. I would have no problem buying anything from Lionsteel.

The Ruike is interesting to me, and I want to give it a try, but I can't find it for less than $70. Where did you pick one up for $55?

It was off of Amazon. They seem to pop up there cheaper, periodically.

Back