"Ruins"- large bowie

I just finished up this large bowie knife. I'm naming it "Ruins". The wide ragged bands in the blade, the pitted layered texture of the wrought iron fittings and the random "creeping" texture all remind me of ancient crumbling ruins. The knife has a bit of a medieval vibe to it, IMO. The blade is 11" long. Almost 16" overall.

Splendid John - I can't imagine the amount of time you put into this bowie. I'm a little in the dark about the blade - is it low layer Damascus? Never seen anything like it - too cool 👍👍

would it be fair to say that this one is a little outside your regular work? Looks to me like you let your hair down a bit for this one...

Splendid John - I can't imagine the amount of time you put into this bowie. I'm a little in the dark about the blade - is it low layer Damascus? Never seen anything like it - too cool 👍👍
Thanks TK. The blade is low layer Damascus. It is a single weld (11 or 13 layers??), forged down square then turned on its side (90 degrees) and forged out to flat bar. I forged it several years ago as a part of a higher layer pattern. It was a left over piece from the first weld that I didn't want to waste so I forged it out and it made a long bowie sized blade. Then it sat for 2 or 3 years.

Nobody in their right mind would boast about the pattern by itself. It is as basic and easy as pattern welding gets. The trick for me was to see if I could do something cool with it that turns it from boring scrap into a neat theme where the simple low layer becomes part of the interest of the design. I'm happy with how that turned out.

would it be fair to say that this one is a little outside your regular work? Looks to me like you let your hair down a bit for this one...
Thanks Lorien.

It might be fair to say that in some ways. The lines and shapes are in my usual style. The use of wrought iron is new to me and pattern welded blades are not my norm. This stippling technique is a new thing for my and I can see other applications of that in my future, though I'm no stranger to stippled blackwood.

Were there specific things you noticed?

This is truly amazing. It has a different look compared to other Damascus - blade has a 'liquid' feel in it. The handle details are mesmerizing. Very nice

Thanks Lorien.

It might be fair to say that in some ways. The lines and shapes are in my usual style. The use of wrought iron is new to me and pattern welded blades are not my norm. This stippling technique is a new thing for my and I can see other applications of that in my future, though I'm no stranger to stippled blackwood.

Were there specific things you noticed?
the random(ish) stipling caught my attention- it plays so well against the wrought iron

Back