Rules of Conduct?

I have read the growing acrimony on the thread which was just locked. I have a question or two regarding appropriate behavior. Before anyone gets prickly, I am NOT talking about ANY particular dealer or problem, just curious.

Since this is a Busse forum, Jerry's forum as I understand it, would it be appropriate for all of us Busse fans and users to discuss dealer experiences, good AND bad, on this forum?

I don't believe in trashing someone without good cause. But I think we can share our experiences, with the intent of helping our "blade buddies" out there.

I first posted on this forum after I had exhausted all other means of communication (including Certified, Return Receipt, Restricted Delivery mail) trying to contact Busse. I received an immediate and helpful forum response and personal e-mail, and shortly after that a personal phone call from Jerry Busse.

Shortly after that, I received my knife. My primary gripe had been that I was quoted an inaccurate delivery date (by about a year), delivery time had been a factor in my purchasing decision, and I couldn't reach anyone to discuss it. Since then, by all accounts, Busse Combat Knives has made GREAT strides in making deliveries in a prompt and timely manner.

In my case, anyway, the forum proved useful and led to a rapid resolution of my problem. BTW, the instantaneous helpful response was from Andy P., and everything I have heard about him since has been good. I just wanted to be clear on where the first amendment is limited on this private forum (and certainly free speech CAN be limited on a PRIVATE forum). Just what is acceptable for discussion?

For me, a post to the effect that "ABC Cutlery has dropped our favorite line and I'm three weeks overdue on my refund," would be appropriate, as would perhaps an expression of concern that ABC may be having financial problems.

I'd consider a slanderous attack on ABC inappropriate. I feel accurate and objective reporting of personal experiences is always OK. Hearsay is risky. I know it is sometimes hard to keep frustration out of our posts. The price of a Busse is a significant chunk of disposable income to most of us.

Does this make sense and/or meet with agreement?

FWIW, I am so far out of touch I didn't know Andy and Jerry had parted ways. And since the matter has been discussed at length on this forum, I think it appropriate that the final resolution to the situation be posted here. From what I have heard about Andy, he will move Heaven and Earth to make his customers whole. When that happens, I want to read about it here.

OK, guys?
biggrin.gif

Lane

"If it can't be expressed in figures it is opinion, not science." -- Heinlein

Lane,
Good question, from where I stand(or sit as the case may be), I think the more appropriate place for this type of discussion is the GBU here on Bladeforums. I understand sometimes you or any customer may feel that they have exhausted all options and need to post on here to get some resolution. However, as we all know though sometimes forget this is a public forum. I think the best avenue would be a phone call or email to the Shop to clear things up. I feel that Jerry and Company are very customer oriented, but they must know about the problem before it can be solved. A phone call will usually take care of any problem.

------------------
Eric Isaacson

Forgive my half-awake brain today, but "GBU?" Is there a forum just for discussing these issues?

Trust me, I tried (and tried and tried and tried) phone calls and e-mail before trying certified mail, etc. Posting on this forum was a big step for me, even a relatively innocuous "contact me" post. And, yes, I know things have improved greatly since my experiences. I have NO complaints at present. My knife is great, and I am happy.

If this was an automotive forum and J.C. Whitney was going through one of their periodic financial upheavals, I'd want to tell my friends that orders from that supplier were not presently being delivered. I would NOT want to badmouth the outfit or post a rant. My intent would be solely to prevent my "forum friends" from sending off money to someone who was not filling orders.

Does "GBU" refer to a general forum? I know most of us are interested in more than Busse Knives (well, at least until Jerry markets a folder and a multi-tool
biggrin.gif
). Would a general discussion forum be a better place for such things?

I'm sure the particular matter that raised the issue here will soon be resolved. I was just curious as to what was good etiquette here on this particular forum.

Lane

Sorry Lane and Thanks RokJok,
GBU(Good, Bad and Ugly) is here on Bladeforums under the Exchange forums. That is generally were things of this nature are discussed, but only after every other possible avenue has been explored.
Thanks

------------------
Eric Isaacson

I too had an experience with Andy P about getting a sheath for my LMS (a custom model from Kenny Rowe). I e-mailed him with my credit card #. He replied that he had two in stock and would send mine right out. A couple of weeks went by and no response. I e-mailed him, no respone. I left a message on his phone #, no response. (By no reponse I mean that he had not contacted me within two days of my attempts) I posted a polite question in this forum and recieved my sheath in three days. Let's face it, dealing in the internet world gives us little but trust when it comes to buying the products offered here. Credit card numbers are given and checks and money orders are sent with the hope that our transactions will handeled it a timely manner. Unless you are wealthy and have a lot of time on your hands, hiring a lawyer and/or traveling halfway across this country to settle a situation doesn't make sense. To me this trust is numero uno in the knife trade. If I send $500.00 to someone and they say that they are going to send the knife, once that check goes out, I'm at the mercy of the person I sent it to. Freedom to speak our piece (within limits) gives us the chance to relate our experiences at a relatively inexpensive cost. If I send $500.00 and get screwed, well too bad for me. But if by posting here I can keep someone else from making that same mistake then that is good and it serves as an incentive for dealers to treat their customers right or they will soon have no customers. Anyone spending any amount of time here can see that when a dealer/maker treats me right, I can post, "Hey, I dealt with so and so and I got a great knife and I got great service and blah, blah, blah!" Other forumites will read this and say, "Wow, Scott got treated well so I will do the same thing and get a knife like his!" When a dealer or a maker has done me right, I am not shy about relating my experiences with my cyberspace brothers in our quest for superior cutlery. The opposite is true also. I will say that I critisize sparingly. I was not happy with the way I was treated by Emerson and company and related that in a post in the Emerson forum. What a mistake! I got roasted to no end! IMHO any dealer has to deal the critics, that's part of the game. I learned the hard way, I spent a lot of $$$ to find what I liked in a knife and I got one heck of an education by reading all the posts, the good and the bad. I have had overwhelmingly positive experiences by following forumite advice. Just my $.02

blah blah blah........did you get the point about GBU?????

This is the Busse forum.

Great post, Lane! (Referring to the thread-starting post.)

Well said, and fair questions.

------------------
Molon Labe

A forum is only as good as its participants.

As long as people conduct themselves with dignity, honesty, respect and a little tact, I think anything Busse-related should be fair game. There was a serious lack of each of those attributes in the thread that started this mess. Lane, Scott, and many other participants in this thread do seem to understand basic etiquette however, and I think their comments are relevant and appropriate.

Not every comment posted on a forum will be positive. As I mentioned earlier, as long as a forumite shows dignity, honesty, respect and tact, his comments should stand and be responded to in the same manner.

Unfortunately the "blah blah blah" comment, while perfectly honest, lacked dignity, respect, and tact. If any of the comments in this thread are innappropriate, it's that one.

If members of this forum are summarily attacked and ridiculed by those who disagree with them, or if this forum is censored, it will lose its value as a venue for good discussion of Busse knives.

What is the best way to handle a difficulty with Busse or a Busse dealer?

I have always stood by the fact that problems should be worked out privately. However, if you are unable to get a response as is evidenced by Lane's experience with us directly, then posting on our forum is the best alternative. Please read the "Where's my knife?" thread, below.

I have no difficulty in being called to task publicly, IF I have dropped the ball privately. I can take it. I won't hide. I will respond publicly. It's called integrity. It's called understanding. It's called "I want to stay in business"
wink.gif

With the passion that Busse owners have about their blades, it is only logical that patience is not going to be at an all-time high. THANK GOD! If the attitude were, "Hey, whenever you can get around to it is fine. . . . " then we would know that we were doing something wrong. Don't get me wrong, it's nice when a customer gives us the extra time we need, but this only occurs after they have acquired several Busse's. Having an MBA (Multiple Busse Acquisition)is the best way to handle the BS (Busse Separation).

We are in the process of setting up our Authorized Busse Dealer Program. If in the future, anyone has a difficulty with one of our dealers, then you can simply call the shop and we will help solve the problem, whenever possible.

Yours in nuclear MBA's for handling the BS,

Jerry Busse

[This message has been edited by Jerry Busse (edited 06-14-2001).]

OK, I think everyone gets the point of this thread. And I agree that open discussion needs to take place.
Remember that this is the Busse forum and we need to maintain (as Wulf said) that "Dignity, honesty and Respect"
One thing I will not have is ANY personal attacks, if they take place I will lock or delete the thread in order to keep things civil. I really don't want to have to do this on my 3rd day on the job.
smile.gif
wink.gif

I think this thread has served its purpose, now lets just let it drop to the bottom.

(Edited to add- I see Jerry was posting at the same time as I and He handled it much better than I did. I still wouldn't mind seeing this thread drop to the bottom though
wink.gif
)

------------------
Eric Isaacson

[This message has been edited by eaisaacs (edited 06-14-2001).]

The best rule is to always be a gentleman. You can never go wrong there. Bringing up that you had problems with any dealer is not bad. But continuing to elaborate on how displeased you are with a dealer and then borderline questioning someones integrity is where appropriate behavior ends. "Hey guys I have a problem and this is what has happened. what do you guys think" seems fine to me. Not... "Hey guys I have a problem and so and so sucks and am I gonna have to get wicked on someones rear end to solve my problem". That was a dramatasation before any of you get your panties in a bunch. NO one actually said anything to that effect it is just an example of not so nice behavior. Just be nice. That's what I think. Because we have proven here time and time again when someone chooses to not be nice everyone else can be equaly not as nice right back at them. I have started my share of flames and have learned the rules here. I have come to like and respect most of our little family here "can't please everyone". I am not the one without sin here so I will not cast a stone but "Can't we all just get along?". You guys be nice. LOL.

------------------
Check out my albums for cool knife pictures.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/albumList?u=879893&Auth=false

not my place sorry

[This message has been edited by chet (edited 06-15-2001).]

I agree, this thread has about served its purpose. I just want to say thanks for posting about GB&U. I pretty much just come to Blade Forums for the Busse forum. Now I'll bookmark the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Thanks.

Lane
biggrin.gif

Back