Russian Custom folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, alot of the Russian designed knives are being built elsewhere. That isn't a hit on their quality at all, I think Russia is facillitating the production of knives beyond what anyone probably thought they were capable of years ago.

Exactly, alot of the Russian designed knives are being built elsewhere. That isn't a hit on their quality at all, I think Russia is facillitating the production of knives beyond what anyone probably thought they were capable of years ago.

Textual communication is, at best, nothing more than an exchange of information, certainly not real communication. And I think that's where we went sideways here. How you discussed the issue, in your comment above, is worded differently enough that I would not have reacted as I did to the previous comment, which I regret.

Edit: And I hope you notice that the comment concerning Canada was not mine. In fact, I am a second generation emigre from Canada, which our family settled (Berlin/Kitchener) in 1798.

But I must admit, any attempt to compare overall quality of US custom knives (yep, a custom-only forum) to the overall quality of Chinese or Russian knives requires much more explanation than a couple of sentences that express opinion as if it were fact, which it surely isn't, not by a longshot. If you were talking about German or Italian cutlery, for instance, that would be different.

Last edited:
I'm not upset. I don't think it is worth getting upset over anything like that. Just know that I am not the type to insult someone's product. I actually am not trying to insult anyone, American, Russian or otherwise.

That said I understand where the miscommunication comes from after all the negative things that were said about QRTRMASTER knives for having products made in China and marked American made. I can understand why you might have read my comment and thought that I was condemning Shiro for a similar practice.

The difference is that QRTMSTR claims their products are all made in the USA and are not telling the truth. I don't think anyone would have a problem if they were honest about where their products are milled and made.

Finally I know the comment about Canada was not from you. I don't blame you for it at all. I just think it is kind of silly for people to get upset because I say in my opinion that China may be surpassing America when it comes to the value you get for a knife purchased. I know some people are ultra competitive and take that as a slight against the USA. In actually it is just my opinion. To answer the question is Canada falling behind China if America is? No Canada is not. That's because they were never ahead of China in the first place when it comes to producing high value knives from quality materials and offering the finished product for a lower price.

Maybe your definition of custom/handmade differs from mine, and from Blade Forums. Could be that's possible? In any case, this thread had no interest to me in any case, so feel free to have the last word, I'm done with it.

I think there are a lot of different definitions when it comes to "custom/handmade." There are soul authorship knives made singly at a time. So the maker grinds every piece himself, makes the hardware, and puts the knife together himself.

Then there are knives where the parts are produced in a factory, put together by hand and the blade ground by hand. CRK makes knives a lot like this but no one calls them custom. On the other hand Hinderers which are largely made the same way ARE often called custom. I don't fully understand myself. Then throw in the term Mid-Tech and I am totally confused.

I don't believe Shirogorovs were ever claiming to be 100% handmade/custom. The word custom gets thrown around a lot so it is hard to know exactly what it means.

To answer the question is Canada falling behind China if America is? No Canada is not. That's because they were never ahead of China in the first place when it comes to producing high value knives from quality materials and offering the finished product for a lower price.

Grohmann Knives started in 1961, and might very well have been ahead of comparisons from China, wrt the attributes you listed, at the time

The knives very much have a generic "Russian" look to my eye.

The biggest problem with purchasing knives imported into the US(particularly folders) is that if there is a problem, and it has to go back to the maker/factory, it'll make you a nervous wreck until it's safely back in your hands with problem fixed. That happened to me with two Brazilian-made knives and was not worth the hassle.

The custom knife market was created in the US, and it is strongest here for a variety of reasons..that is fact, not opinion.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Grohmann Knives started in 1961, and might very well have been ahead of comparisons from China, wrt the attributes you listed, at the time

You called me out!

Lol. Yeah Grohmann are great knives when it comes to shape. I still don't know if they were ever offering value in the way I meant. Which means offering the highest end materials for the lowest price. I am ashamed..Been living in Canada for ages and never owned a Grohmann. I hear good things about them.

I have no problem with Russian knives,infact I'm buying the Contra. It's the other Asian knives I dont want

Looks don’t count for a whole lot if a flipper doesn’t flip. Please fix your video link.

Dan

This thread is a year old and, unlike some threads, would seem to not ever deserve resurrection.

Reactions: Mo2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back