Russian "Izhmash" Survival Knife

I saw one of these in a catalog a while back and now can't find where to buy. Does anyone have one of these? Are they well made and if so where can one purchase. Thanks.

Got one, like it a lot. The edge needed a lot of work, but no other complaints. The saw and the harpoon blade lock into the handle assembly, the awl that comes in the handle is a real bonus. I bought mine from www.redsoldier.com, I'm not sure if they still have them or not... If you want I can post a pic later.

I don't have one of their knives, but Izmash produces quality goods. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• izmash.jpg
    izmash.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 520
I don't have one of their knives, but Izmash produces quality goods. :D

attachment.php

Nice. I have two Russian SKS's from the Tula arsenal.

Thanks for the responses guys. IIRC it was a lot less expensive the $125 at Sportman's Warehouse. They don't seem to carry it anymore.

Thanks for the pics. The hollow handle contains some fishing gear, a compass and some other useful items. For now, I'll stick with my Fallkniven F1, but if I can find this knife for a reasonalbe price I may get it. I just like Russian stuff, its usually a good value and purpose built without frills.

Shereablade,

The saw, harpoon and awl attach into the swing-lock assembly that makes up the wire cutter. The compass is stored behind the knob/cap on the front of the sheath. The steel is carbon steel (Russian leaf spring, I believe, danged tough in my experience). The capsule in the handle has 2 compartments, one for the pre-assembled fishing line, bobber and hook, the 2nd for the normal fire stuff, etc. All of the functions of the knife appear to be created with cold hands in mind, you can open the paracord swing, locking features, etc. with no real dexterity. You can see from the blade that I have use it a lot... I like it.

mike066.jpg

mike067.jpg

mike068.jpg

That looks like the perfect stowaway for the trunk, tool chest or the flip-up seats in some SUVs. Looks pretty tough, you hacked on anything with it yet?

Don,

I test all my knives the same way, I take a chunk of oak out my wood shed and hack on it, look at the edge, hack on it, look at the edge...... This steel is tough. Not a lot of hacking leverage though, light alloy handle. But it is fast in the hand and is a pretty good cutter.

Shoot me an E-mail through the website if you want to review it. I'll put the article together for you. You can write it in MS Word or an E-mail for that matter and just tell me where the pics go, etc.

Don,

Will do. I'll try to get to that over the next couple days. BTW, love your site, came across it a couple years ago and it re-kindled my interest in WS&S... Thanks for your efforts!

Back