Russia's chic uniform 'sends soldiers to hospital'

– Wed Dec 15, 9:11 am ET

MOSCOW (AFP) – Russia's sharp new military uniforms, created by a top fashion designer, have landed hundreds in the hospital after proving too thin to withstand ferocious winter cold, a state daily said Wednesday.

Rossiyskaya Gazeta reported that between 60 and 250 servicemen have been laid up with everything from flu to pneumonia as Arctic chills sweep through the country's northern reaches.

"They literally felt naked outside," the paper quoted the mother of one solider as saying. "Many of them ended up in hospital. Ours developed pneumonia," she said of her son.

The government daily said defence officials have admitted not receiving complaints about the uniforms in time to do anything ahead of the winter season.

"It seems that all this happened because of slovenliness on our part," Joint Staff General Nikolai Makarov told the daily.

Introduced in 2008, the parade uniforms designed by fashion celebrity Valentin Yudashkin are threaded with gold and more shapely and chic, in a throwback to the uniforms of the imperial Tsarist army.

[List: 7 cold and flu myths, debunked]

The field versions, meanwhile, are lighter and come with thinner but more mobile boots.

Russia designed its first post-Soviet uniform in the 1990s, but it was unpopular with officers who complained that it made them look like they were serving in a Third World army.

pels-kopi.jpg

"I would feel vodka warmth teaming up with chicks like this."

Valentin_Yudashkin.jpg

610x.jpg

Last edited:
They can start by fixing their rust bucket navy that's not being maintained.

The Russians never really cared about the welfare of their troops. That last picture looks like a younger version of my grandpa.

Why is a fashion designer allowed anywhere near the design of military uniforms?

I grew up in an USAF family, on Strategic Air Command bases, during the Cold War. And how is Russian soldiers in Hospital a BAD thing??

You know how soldiers are, they always find a way to make-do. I wonder if 20,000 pairs of pantyhose just got shipped to Russian soldier's wives.

I grew up in an USAF family, on Strategic Air Command bases, during the Cold War. And how is Russian soldiers in Hospital a BAD thing??

Private Ivan ain't running Russia's strategic air command. ;)
Last I checked Russia doesn't want to exterminate us in the 21st century so far. :p
Now China on the other hand.....

I uploaded this to my Facebook page, a few days ago. I simply take it as more proof that "High Fashion" can't find its butt with both hands and a map.

Any Russian willing to join the army when he could become a gangster and make ten times the money deserves a decent uniform.

Russian does not have a word "motherland". Their word is 'rodina' which comes from 'rod', the root of birth, and means "native land".

i always liked the silly hats the generals wear. seems the more medals they have, the wider the hat gets. why the wind doesn't pick them up i don't know. maybe they are glued on? this old guy's one is about three feet wide. putin does not look amused.

weak-russia.preview.jpg

Last edited:
I have also heard it referred to as "Maht-Rodina" or "Rodina-Maht" (with a soft t) roughly translated as "motherland" or "mother homeland". The literal translation of rodina is, as Esav says, "birth land" or "native land". But, as in so many languages, the literal translation into English doesn't necessarily convey the essence of the word in the native tongue. In my internet opinion, motherland isn't necessarily an incorrect translation.

There is a large statue of a woman with a sword outside of Volgograd that is an icon of the Soviet Union. It is commonly referred to as "The Motherland."

BTW - her sword is 108 feet long. You have to respect a blade that size.

There is a large statue of a woman with a sword outside of Volgograd that is an icon of the Soviet Union. It is commonly referred to as "The Motherland."

BTW - her sword is 108 feet long. You have to respect a blade that size.

You will obey! :D

stalingrad_statue_of_motherland.jpg

Back